Would Behringer UM2 be able to drive 300 ohm cans (I.e. Mass X Sennheiser HD 6xx)?
Jan 14, 2020 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DevlicK

New Head-Fier
I've got a UM2 for my current mic / headphone config. Current cans are AKG k242 - they're nothing special. I've read somewhere that the UM2 has an inbuilt DAC with a small amp but can't find any technical specs on it to confirm.

Does anyone have a similar config that can confirm?

If the UM2 is not powerful enough to drive it, can I continue using it as a DAC and thus, only need to get an amp?

Otherwise what amp/DAC combo would you recommend? Preference would be a single unit as I already have too many things on my desk (z906 speakers and the UM2) but wouldn't mind a stack if it's better priced.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 4
I've got a UM2 for my current mic / headphone config. Current cans are AKG k242 - they're nothing special. I've read somewhere that the UM2 has an inbuilt DAC with a small amp but can't find any technical specs on it to confirm.

It has a USB input. That means it can take digital audio, hence, it has a DAC circuit in it.

If the UM2 is not powerful enough to drive it, can I continue using it as a DAC and thus, only need to get an amp?

Check the manual.

If the volume control affects the signal coming out of the RCA output, i'd avoid using that since you might send more than 2V into the amp, not to mention it will likely not be as clean.

Otherwise what amp/DAC combo would you recommend? Preference would be a single unit as I already have too many things on my desk (z906 speakers and the UM2) but wouldn't mind a stack if it's better priced.

Maybe the AudioGD NFB-11 or Schiit Asgard 3 with USB DAC card.

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Check the manual.

As I'm not at home, I've checked documentation on Behringer's site but they don't seem to contain anything in relation to the amp specs. Will have to check when I get home

If the volume control affects the signal coming out of the RCA output, i'd avoid using that since you might send more than 2V into the amp, not to mention it will likely not be as clean.

That's good to know. So it seems it might be better to just get a separate dac/amp unit instead of using the UM2.

Maybe the AudioGD NFB-11 or Schiit Asgard 3 with USB DAC card.

Thanks for the recommendation but the Schiit is too much out of my price range ($629AUD) and the AudioGD doesn't seem to be available where I am (Australia)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the recommendation but the Schiit is too much out of my price range ($629AUD) and the AudioGD doesn't seem to be available where I am (Australia)

The Asgard 3 is as cheap as it gets and kills the need for getting anything else in terms of necessity (anything more like keeping it running in Class A at 2watts per channel output is highly relative), even with that markup (you've no idea what the mark up is elsewhere, like in the Philippines, thanks to protectionist tariffs that actually protect nothing but the middleman ie the dealer, most of which don't operate with the same customer service anyway; just ask anybody who had to deal with those faulty NAD transports here). Ditto the NFB-11...it's cheap because they cut the middleman and you order it direct from the manufacturer in China (follow instructions on the website, they don't do PayPal direct payments).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back