Would be upgrade DAC a vast improvement?
May 25, 2016 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Module

100+ Head-Fier
I use 0404 USB as DAC + O2 Amp + Fidelio X2. In that setup 0404 USB seems the weakest component. So, would be a vast improvement if I'll buy new DAC for the range $200-250? I was read that the most matter for the setup it's headphones and amp. So, how much DAC affect to the sound quality and should I upgrade it? Thanks.

May 25, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 6

If your amps and headphones are revealing enough to perceive the difference between DACs then a DAC upgrade is worth it. Realistically, there's minimal change to the sound signature, but you get a subtly better sense of instrument separation, microdetails and soundstage. Bass may also be more controlled and treble become less sharp while becoming more extended. Then again, it's a subtle change in a way that you have to memorize your old DAC sound so you can perceive the difference.

May 25, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 6
According to Creative, the E-MU 0404 has "unmatched USB audio fidelity."

Don't know if I buy that. It is a 15 year old product. Get an ODAC. If you can't really tell any difference, return it.

May 26, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 6
May 26, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theveterans /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If your amps and headphones are revealing enough to perceive the difference between DACs then a DAC upgrade is worth it. Realistically, there's minimal change to the sound signature, but you get a subtly better sense of instrument separation, microdetails and soundstage. Bass may also be more controlled and treble become less sharp while becoming more extended. Then again, it's a subtle change in a way that you have to memorize your old DAC sound so you can perceive the difference.

Also sometimes either the DACs in question actually have some difference it usually boils down  to the analogue output stage design. That includes how strong hte line output signal is, and in some cases it's a bad amp that might reveal that. Between a 2volt DAC complying with redbook or a 1.2v portable, the tendency is to not level the system volume at all and think the louder one is automatically better, but in some cases there is an attempt to level the output only to get more noise and distortion out of the amplifier.

Note that relative signal strength being a factor shouldn't mean going for a DAC with very high line output voltage - the Superpro707 for example has high enough voltage than what is even necessary in say a car environment where you run analogue cables over 2m long.

May 26, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back