Would Audigy2 be a worthy upgrade for me?
Sep 25, 2003 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sgraphics

Head-Fier
I do 95% of my music listening from my computer (computer > amp headphone output > headphones). I currently have some built-in C-Media 5.1 soundcard.

Would there be a difference if I get a "Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 OEM"?

The sad thing is the only decent sound card sold here is Audigy.

Sep 25, 2003 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't know exactly what your soundcard sounds like (never heard of it) but when I switched my integrated soundcard to an ordinary Audigy the difference really was like: "Wow!"

So yes, there should be a difference.

Sep 25, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 15
There's going to be quite a difference. Most onboard audio isn't that great.

Can you get a Terratec card where you are?

Sep 25, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 15
On the local computer components pricewatch there are:

Abit
Creative Labs
Crystal
Genius
Hercules
Hoontech
InnoVISION
Philips
Solo I
Sweex
Trust

Cards that cought my attention: Creative Labs Audigy2 and Hercules Digifire 7.1. So what to do?

Sep 26, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 15
Sep 26, 2003 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for the link, vrao81. I found some useful info there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Although I rarely play games I think I go for the Audigy
cool.gif

Sep 26, 2003 at 8:58 AM Post #8 of 15
Hello, I hope I'm not too late
smily_headphones1.gif

I had an Audigy (v. 1) and ended up trashing it, so terrible it was. POOR drivers, unstable, conflicts... and I'm not alone in that (no wonder there are 3rd party drivers being worked on atm).

I ended up using my onboard C-Media until I bought a Terratec EWX.

As far as sound quality is concerned... back then, I didn't have a headphone amp and using it like that, the Audigy sounded extremely harsh and bright to my ears, "screechy". I don't know what kind of a difference the AMP would make though, I used a pair of HD610 Philips which are pretty efficient... really easy to drive properly AND my Sennheiser HD580s which obviously shouldn't be taken into consideration without an AMP
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2003 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 15
sgraphics: No way to get a Terratec Aureon 5.1 Sky or 7.1 Space? Then the Hoontech DSP24 Value could be a good idea - it's VIA/ICE Envy24 based just like the M-Audio Revo or the Terratec 6fire and the aforementioned Aureons (not the Aureon 5.1 Fun, though!). The Audigy is not a bad card, either, especially for gamers - but it's a resampling solution and it sounds a little lifeless. The Philips Edge-series cards (Seismic & Acoustic Edge) sounded better to my ears - so if you can get one of these for cheap, I'd recommend to give it a try.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Sep 26, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 15
i did quite the research before buying my m-audio audiophile 2496 and i can only highly recommend it, given you can live with limited game support.
The lineout signal is excellent, and to my knowlege its the cheapest card you will find that passes out a digital signal that isnt resampled and can be slaved to an external clock, thus opening another upgrade part with external DACs (which i think isnt the case with the audigy).

Sep 26, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 15
M-audio Revo is what I use and I'm extremely happy with it. All that talk about it not being good for games is just crap as long as you keep yourself away from EAX and such....

Sep 28, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 15
Although the Audigy is not the best soundcard for music listening, (most will say PC soundcards are NEVER a good source for music listening
biggrin.gif
) It will be an improvement over your current built-in card. I also listen to music mostly out of the computer when im home, and IMO the Audigy2 sounded much better than my old SB Live card.

Sep 28, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #14 of 15
I love the Audigy 2! I recently upgraded to one and it's awesome, I'm loving the optical out too!
cool.gif

It's a great card, and like many have said it's excellent for gaming. I tend to listen to my portables at my computer though, so I'm not sure how music sounds through headphones with the Audigy 2, but with my Logic 3 SoundStation 2 it sounds pretty nice for PC standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back