Would Archos New Internet Tablets will play with PICO or Predator by USB?
Sep 22, 2008 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

moonsurf

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to pull the trigger on new Ipod touch. Only remaining item on my list is the new Archos players. Since they are basically Linux based computers, wouldn't they connect through USB with DAC/Amp combo like Pico, D3 or Predator? Does anyone has any information? If they work like this, I think new Archos may be the ultimate portable music and movie solutions. Thanks.

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonsurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to pull the trigger on new Ipod touch. Only remaining item on my list is the new Archos players. Since they are basically Linux based computers, wouldn't they connect through USB with DAC/Amp combo like Pico, D3 or Predator? Does anyone has any information? If they work like this, I think new Archos may be the ultimate portable music and movie solutions. Thanks.

the touch/iPhone is also a linux based computer when it comes down to it, so it is theoretically possible to have them connect to the pico, predator or any other USB dac that doesn't require a driver onboard to communicate. this problem has been discussed elsewhere in other threads as it does sound very appealing. Problem is; at least with the pico that the dac runs off usb power and not off battery power. so even if you could get it to work, it would drain the battery on the archaos/itouch/iphone very quickly. so while its a great idea there would be quite a bit of tinkering to be done.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the touch/iPhone is also a linux based computer

The iPhone is NOT a linux based computer (it has the Mac OS X onboard)

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 8
OSX is based on unix just like linux is; in fact programs that are written for linux/unix require SOO little alteration as to be almost interchangeable, just as linux in things such as jailbtreak are very similar, so terminal apps run effortlessly on the iphone and ipod touch. perhaps I should have inserted the word practically in there but for all intensive purposes any code written for linux/unix will run on the ipod and iphone with some very minor alterations. so if you want to be nit picky, which it seems you do; you could say that I misrepresented the situation. look up ipod linux on wikipedia

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gav17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPhone is NOT a linux based computer (it has the Mac OS X onboard)

notice the english... linux BASED computer. all three systems are written are modified unix machines with slightly different implementations

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 8
qusp: sry dude... "based on the same ideas" is not the same as "based on linux"

I'd also very much like to be able to use my Predator as a dac portably... it sounds like it might be possible with Nokia's internet tablets. There was a head-fier putting together some type of modfiication to allow this, but I've no idea about Archos devices...

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
qusp: sry dude... "based on the same ideas" is not the same as "based on linux"

I'd also very much like to be able to use my Predator as a dac portably... it sounds like it might be possible with Nokia's internet tablets. There was a head-fier putting together some type of modfiication to allow this, but I've no idea about Archos devices...

fair enough comment my bad; my wording could've been clearer but at least now you know what I mean
o2smile.gif
you will still need some way to power the predator dac even if you can get it to work the dac is powered by USB ( at least I think it is; the pico certainly is as all other portable USB dacs ive read up on)and therefior it will kill the battery life of whatever portable you use it with. bummer hey? I suppose you could build yourself some kind of custom cable with a small battery power supply inline. I also was folowing that thread with interest and I think they might've worked it out on the tablet; cant remember but the power issue was still an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back