Would appreciate help choosing a pair of headphones around 100-200 Dollars
Nov 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BakaSenpai

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I just need some help choosing a new pair of headphones. I'm quite new to this audophile stuff so I dont really know what would be the best choice considering my budget. 
I've only owned Bose Oe2's in the past and was thinking it was time for a new pair of cans since I've had them for a few years now. 

Sharing my taste in music might help you guys out a bit. I listen to mostly Rock,Dubstep,Hardcore J-Pop and occasionally classical. Oh yeah I almost forgot, im looking for closed full size headphones preferably aesthetically pleasing as possible since I would be using these on a daily basis on the bus and what not. I'd enjoy headphones with nice punchy bass,clear mids and highs

I've only narrowed down my choices to these two so far. (Im open to suggestions so please by all means share)
Audio Technica ATH M50  (Heard a lot of good things about these headphones and also a lot of bad)
Grado SR60i (Kind of favoring the M50's since these don't look as good and are also open)

Remember max 200 dollars.

Thanks Guys!

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 7
I saw this pair of DT990 Premium 250 Ohm headphones in the classifieds here and would love to pick them up if I had the extra cash. They're being sold for $145 which is an AMAZINGLY low price. They sell for over $300 on Amazon. I would highly recommend those to get you started on your Audiophile adventure. Please do yourself a favor and check them out. They are used, but this is one of the best deals I've seen in the classifieds in a while. They're great headphones with bright highs and deep bass. They are open back headphones though..

Another great headphone to consider would be the DT770, the DT990's brother. They share the same drivers but they are in a closed can. I would consider the DT770 a direct upgrade from the M50. The highs are much better and the sound isn't as muddy. Be sure to get the 80 OHM version though, it seems that everyone prefers that version over the others. I used to have the 80 OHM version and they were great, I haven't heard any other version though. They isolate sound VERY well, and are extremely comfortable. They go for $229 on Amazon, but used you can get them from $159 there. 

DT990: http://www.head-fi.org/t/686937/beyer-dt990-250-premium-includes-shipping-and-paypal

Here's a link to them on Amazon. Compare prices.
http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-990-Premium-250-Ohm/dp/B00193FT26

DT770: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-80-ohms/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384623492&sr=1-3&keywords=dt770
Make sure you check out the used offers for a lower price.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 7
You can get by without amping the DT770 80 OHM if you don't like to blare your music. I did, and ended up buying a cheap Fiio E6 amp for like $25. I still have it and wouldn't mind letting it go if you only pay the shipping for it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back