Would anyone recommend the RSA SR-71A as their first portable headphone amp?
Oct 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Andru08

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650 that I currently use with my Yamaha RX-V3800 and my Samsung TV (52LN750A.)

I'll be adding the AKG K702 to my collection very soon. I bought the K702 because of the reviews I read here. I'm hoping they sound better or are at least equal to the HD650.

I also have the Audio Technica QuietPoint ATH-ANC7 and the ATH-ANC3 to use when I travel.

I use these with my iPhone 4. Next week I'll be able to add the Sennheiser PXC 450 to my collection of NR headphones.

Would the RSA SR-71A improve anything or would you use a different portable amp, and if so, what do you recommend?

The sound coming from my TV sounds surprisingly good through the HD650. I'm rather surprised as the HD650s are supposed to require an amp to sound their best, but then, I've never heard them driven with a headphone amp before.

Would getting the SR-71A improve anything, or is my receiver already more than good enough? I'm asking because I'd like to know if it's worth spending the money on a portable headphone amp.

Any input would be most appreciated as I'm completely new to this.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 5
Well sometimes something like a TV can have an amp built in that isn't too bad. The SR71a was voiced with the HD600's and from my experience, does well with the HD650's, sound full bodied, rich and with a good bass foundation. It will power them very well. Will you hear a difference? I don't know, but I often do between it and regular sources. 

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the advice.

I am assuming that you are recommending the RSA SR-71A over anything else, or is there any other more affordable portable headphone amp that will work just as well?

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 5
Just received the AKG K702 a few weeks ago and I've done my best to burn them in over 10 days of constant music, unfortunately, I still find that they sound thin a little dead compared to the Sennheiser HD650. They also seem to need a lot more power to drive them. It seems like I will need to get a portable amp for it. Am I right that the AKG will need an amp to sound their best?

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 5
The 702 are not an easy phone to drive and I would think you need an amp with enough power to drive them. I personally don't care for the AKG's as they sound a little thin and lack body but there are many people who really like them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back