Would anyone consider an entry level Stax system over similar priced dynamic headphone + amp?
Aug 27, 2008 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zafonic

Head-Fier
I have in mind a couple of scenarios:

1) Buy a Stax SRS 2050 / 2020 basic system comprising earspeaker and energizer

2) Buy a headphone amp and good headphones like HD600/650, etc

Let me also say that I'm in the UK and the price of the SRS 2020/2050 is around £440.

The immediate benefits I can think of with the dynamic set up is that it can be used with my ipod and to watch dvd movies - I don't think the Stax can do this, can it?

Did any of you guys consider getting a lower end Stax instead of your current amp and headphones?

I've read various threads on Stax and it's a split between people who say there is no comparison in sound quality to those who prefer dynamic headphones.

Would I need to take anything else into consideration if going for the Stax? I am using an old but good Arcam Alpha 7SE cd player.

Cheers
beyersmile.png

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 10
I would certainly go for the SRS-2050 system over a HD600/650 with amplifier. I have considered getting a lower end Stax instead of my current amplifiers/headphones several times, and even been there.
wink.gif

Another couple of points:
1. The SRS-2050 can certainly be used with your iPod and DVD player. All you need is a suitable iPod-> RCA cable. Or probably a regular RCA cable for the DVD player.
2. The SRS-2050 can be had for far less than the £440 you list. Example from PriceJapan who sell it for €326, which equals £263.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi!

I can't say anything about the SRS-2050 or HD650 but my old Stax SR-5 is really much better than a Sennheiser HD595 (both one "step" below your choices) for my ears.
It might depend on your music genre preferences. Hip-Hop may not be really fun with electrostats, but something like Jazz or well-recorded Rock is lovely.

Jonas

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the replies, guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

I checked out the PriceJapan link and it works out to £280 including DHL delivery. The only thing I'm worried about are the import taxes. Buying from the EU would be better for me but I doubt I could get that price.

I mainly listen to vocal/acoustic, acoustic rock and rock.

I can get a chance to listen to the SRS-2020 system as there is a dealer in London, but obviously this may be tainted if it's connected to a fantastic cdp.

Is the main (audible) difference between electrostatic and dynamic systems that the Stax is clearer and defined and transparent? If that is so, why don't more people buy it?

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo-Vo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I can't say anything about the SRS-2050 or HD650 but my old Stax SR-5 is really much better than a Sennheiser HD595 (both one "step" below your choices) for my ears.
It might depend on your music genre preferences. Hip-Hop may not be really fun with electrostats, but something like Jazz or well-recorded Rock is lovely.

Jonas

x2.

They major complaint I've heard with stats are the lack of head rattling bass. The problem I have with that is I think the only way you get head rattling bass in any headphone is listening at levels that will eventually damage your hearing. At the levels I listen to, my vintage SR-Gamma has better bass than any headphone I've heard. I like it better than the dynamic headphones that I own in the same price range.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 10
Zafonic. You're most welcome.
£263 + 17.5% VAT = £309 + £17 (shipping) = £326. Still noticeable cheaper than the £440 you list.
Buying from the EU may be "better". Regarding VAT, shipping, warranty, ... But I doubt you will find a matching price, at least not new.

How about bringing your CD player to the London dealer? So that you are not tricked by a fancy source, which you wont be using at home.

What you describe about the differences between electrostatic and dynamic headphones are spot on, imo.
There are lots of reason why more people don't buy them. Like:
* They have the misconception that Stax is VERY expensive. It can be, but certainly don't have to be.
* They have been told that Stax are bass shy. My ears tell me thats totally wrong.
* Few dealers sell Stax, so few people are exposed to them.
* No fancy marketing, as with AKG, Sennheiser, ...

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks again!!

You two have certainly boosted my confidence with what you say about them. For the acid test I need to hear them myself - that's a good suggestion about taking my cd player into the shop (if they stand by their product they should agree to this).

I'm not a bass head as you can probably tell by my choice in music, so I should be satisfied I think.

The reasons KR gave make sense to me - rumours about lack of bass and a lack of dealers mean many audio lovers wouldn't really consider the brand....

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 10
The other draw back in most Stax is that they can be very revealing of bad recordings. I'm currently listening to piano music recorded in the early 1900s. The playing is good, but the recording is pretty noisy. Some of the tracks were on wax cylinder.

It can be pretty hard to listen to with my Stax.

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zafonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can get a chance to listen to the SRS-2020 system as there is a dealer in London, but obviously this may be tainted if it's connected to a fantastic cdp.

Please share. I would be very interested (PM me if necessary)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back