Would an audiophile DAP sell?
Mar 19, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #61 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not just once, but twice resurrected from the dead.

And audiophile DAPs have come. HiFiMan and sflo2.

Both have their flaws. The Hifiman is very expensive, rather a huge unit, the lack of capacity and the low batter life discourages me.

The Sflo2 adresses the first two issues but it tries too much. For that MRSP i would have removed the line-out (i will be flamed for this), removed the video capabilities and focus on the thing that matters most for head-fiers, audio quality, capacity and a decent battery life.

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #62 of 77
But there is no question to what they are regardless of their flaws: Audiophile daps.

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #63 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantoon
For that MRSP i would have removed the line-out (i will be flamed for this),

so you feel like there are enough DAPs with dedicated LineOuts on the market ... or do you think there´s not enough business for those extortionate snakeoil LOD makers ( here you go
wink.gif
)

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #64 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But there is no question to what they are regardless of their flaws: Audiophile daps.

That's the way of evolution
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by neopac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so you feel like there are enough DAPs with dedicated LineOuts on the market ... or do you think there´s not enough business for those extortionate snakeoil LOD makers ( here you go
wink.gif
)

Let me rephrase that
biggrin.gif

If Nationite provides bigger capacity and addresses the battery time I would be very pleased and would very much welcome a line-out/optical out.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #66 of 77
The S:flo2 almost nails it down perfectly. This unit sounds so good it doesn't even need an amp of any type. And it is not as picky with IEM's like the amp3, this unit will not hiss under any circumstance.

All it really needs is for someone to write some quality firmware for it. Slap the zune user interface on it and have it keep it's EQ options and it would easily be the best DAP on the market.

It also seems just a better overall performer than the Amp3 or hifiman, those units seems to be very picky about what type of headphones you can use and the firmware seems even worse than the Sflo:2

for an Sfl0:3 I would increase the on board Storage to 64Gb add a SDXC slot and spend a year perfecting a real user interface and database library for the player. Everything else I would leave the same. If they did that the player might never need to be replaced.

We still need an audiophile DAP with LOADS of storage, as we are the ones that will be using lossless audio so it makes more sense for an audiophile DAP to have more storage.

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #67 of 77
If you could keep the manufacturing costs down, R&D, and could sell it for the price you said, it could sell, however, your talking about a niche market, that carries a lot of different values when it comes to portable/ transportable DAPs. Capacity is always a bonus, interface and usability will be a great selling point too. I understand your distaste for iPods, but undeniably, they have a great interface. I'm interested, there is probably enough info on these forums to put together a reasonable feature set that doesn't get too watered down, or too much that sacrifices size vs. performance. I do admit the S-flo does have my eye.

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #68 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S:flo2 almost nails it down perfectly. This unit sounds so good it doesn't even need an amp of any type. And it is not as picky with IEM's like the amp3, this unit will not hiss under any circumstance.

All it really needs is for someone to write some quality firmware for it. Slap the zune user interface on it and have it keep it's EQ options and it would easily be the best DAP on the market.

It also seems just a better overall performer than the Amp3 or hifiman, those units seems to be very picky about what type of headphones you can use and the firmware seems even worse than the Sflo:2

for an Sfl0:3 I would increase the on board Storage to 64Gb add a SDXC slot and spend a year perfecting a real user interface and database library for the player. Everything else I would leave the same. If they did that the player might never need to be replaced.

We still need an audiophile DAP with LOADS of storage, as we are the ones that will be using lossless audio so it makes more sense for an audiophile DAP to have more storage.

Just get rockbox on it and I would be happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #69 of 77
A while ago I had a little idea... Create an audiophile DAP, but to keep cost down, strip it of as much as possible, and port an existing UI like rockbox.

Basicly just a cardreader with a display, a battery, some control buttons and maybe a scrollwheel, and a few different flavors of Line out (e.g. ana/digi/optical/usb). No onboard memory, no headphone out, no crappy amps we'd bypass anyway...

This device would probably be completely unmarketable outside these forums, but I think there might be a few people here who'd like a DAP with great sound, where they can just plug in a memorycard with their favorite music and listen through their favorite amp connected via the line-out interface of their choice...

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #70 of 77
I think that would be closer to the mark of realistically doable. I was actually thinking about that this morning, using CF cards. or a ssd drive (the ones that are already encased) I've seen a DIY mp3 player, we do DIY amps/dacs, I don't see why this couldn't be done. I would think the hardest part would be the UI or firmware, the development of any extras. (I would love to see the minidisc in line remotes come back, the ones that displayed songs but were uber small)

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #72 of 77

Quote:

If Nationite provides bigger capacity and addresses the battery time I would be very pleased and would very much welcome a line-out/optical out.

Don't they already use a bigger battery than normal? I say get rid of the dual dacs...

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #73 of 77
For those that willing to sacrifice a little sound quality (still sounds fantastic) for smaller size, cheaper price, and lighter weight, the HM-602 is coming out.

Here's pics of the prototype HM-602 at CanJam with size comparisons.  It's roughly the size of the iRiver HP140 series DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back