Would an amp really make a difference with the UE Super.Fi Pro?
Jun 22, 2005 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mando

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

This is my second post here. Love this forum so far!

I'm gaining a ton of knowledge by lurking and reading. So, because of my new found knowledge, I have a question.

I currently use an iPod Photo (40GB) and Powerbook. When listening to my music via my UE Super.Fi Pro's, I notice a slight difference in sound between the two sources (non-EQed). Would an amp for my iPod make that much of a difference in sound quality on my Super.Fi? If so, what amp would you suggest?

I LOVE my Super.Fi when connected to Powerbook and my custom EQ. Alas, with the iPod, I can't transfer my custom EQ, so I use various EQ modes for different music types.

Thx in advance!!

Jun 22, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 4
Since you listen to both your laptop and Ipod a Total Bithead would probably work great for you. You can go with the USB connection on your laptop and bypass the computer's headphone out, and go with either the headphone out or get a Sendstation PocketDock or SiK's Ram Din line out adapter and hook it up that way on your Ipod.

Jun 22, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Be careful with regard to amplifying SuperFi's... due to their low impedance I get a lot of noise when they are pluged into my reciever or pre-amp - to get around it I have to use the resistor plug. Furthermore, SQ wise, I do not hear a noticable improvement when amping them.

Jun 22, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 4
There is a noticeable improvement to me with the superfi's when going from the ipod headphone out to the ipod line out->amp. However, I think most of it is due to bypassing the crappy ipod preamp and avoiding the bass rolloff. I like using an amp with the ipod, but more for the ipod than the headphones, for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back