Would an amp really help an IEM like the Shure 535?
Jan 18, 2016 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

podme

100+ Head-Fier
Obviously a bit new here on the forums and hifi in general. I've been listening to my Shure 535s for some time now paired to whatever the latest iPhone is out at the time and have enjoyed the sound. I use the hifi streaming option with TIDAL.

The question is how much of a difference would a headphone amp or DAC make in improving the sound? I get that to some degree, any sound changes/improvement is subjective but how is it supposed to improve the sound of a relatively low impedance device such as an IEM?

Thanks in advance guys...
Pod

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 7
It really depends on what you expect from the amp.

An amp with low impedance output will reduce any hiss you may have with the SE535(if you have some, they really have low impedance). I had a Pico Slim for this specific purpose (fairl transparent, reduced hiss, and great autonomy).
The SE535 are also a bit light with bass for my taste so it may help if you chose your amp correctly (Oppo HA-2 for instance).
If you want to bypass your iPhone internal amp, you may as well use an amp which has DAC function.

Once you know your objective, it's easier to choose the rightamp/DAC, otherwise you're in for a big disappointment.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 7
  It really depends on what you expect from the amp.

An amp with low impedance output will reduce any hiss you may have with the SE535(if you have some, they really have low impedance). I had a Pico Slim for this specific purpose (fairl transparent, reduced hiss, and great autonomy).
The SE535 are also a bit light with bass for my taste so it may help if you chose your amp correctly (Oppo HA-2 for instance).
If you want to bypass your iPhone internal amp, you may as well use an amp which has DAC function.

Once you know your objective, it's easier to choose the rightamp/DAC, otherwise you're in for a big disappointment.

Thanks for your quick & detailed response!
I guess what I have to do is actually try out a few amp/dac combos to see what I like. I haven't had much of anything else to compare the 535s against other than my v-moda wireless cans and some from sennheiser & beyerdynamic. I'm curious about CIEMs but want to understand amps/dacs first.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 7
I've actually jumped on the Alo Rx late fall and man, I'm glad that I did. They bring out the best qualities of my dn2000. Gave me a realistic response. Better timbre and accurate life like decay and speed. Worth the trouble.
I recommend it to anyone who already love their iem.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 7
where you from? I hear Amazon lets you return yer goods.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm in the US... and yeah, Amazon is good with returns but it's just so much more convenient to be able to walk into a shop to try & buy right there... if only...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back