Would an Amp make Sense?
Nov 5, 2011 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MDKaiser

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I was wondering if an amp would help my setup to sound better. I have at the moment:
- MacBook Pro mid 2009 13inch (audio jack is the combined one that has microphone input; I don't really know much about the quality of MacBook audio jacks)
- Audiotechnica ATH M50 (bought them half a year ago after reading many favorable reviews on head-fi.org)

I am looking at a desktop amp around the $100 mark; I like the look of tube amps, and I would probably like a warmer sound. What I'm looking for with the amp is not volume (got plenty of that; in fact I listen to my music at around 15%-25% of my max volume), but some more clarity (less background hissing etc.) and warmth. I know the M50 are already a huge upgrade from my previous "crap headphones", but I want to be able to sink into my music and really enjoy it.

So the question is:
- Does anyone know if the M50s benefit from an amp?
- Does the MacBook benefit from an amp?
- Any recommendations? I've looked at the Indeed G2; sounds like it's pretty good for it's price.

Thanks already!

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 4
I had a Indeed 6922EH G2 tube headphone amplifier ($90) and I liked the sound, but they stopped working after only three months.
My older Muse 6922EH is still working.

Also these single tube headphone amplifiers work best when the voltage is balanced and set to around 13 volts.
You would use a digital multimeter (the DT830 is $7 mail order) to check the voltage and balance.
Use a small Philips head screwdriver to adjust.
I'm guessing the amps get quick test before leaving the factory (little workshop?).
Takes time to do the fine adjustments to the voltage.

You do not have to adjust them, but they do improve with the adjustment.

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 4
Hey guys, thanks for the answers! I've done a bit more research on the topic. It seems that Laptops in general benefit from a DAC more than from an amp.
Now I'm not sure how much that applies to MacBooks; I can imagine that the headphone jack/soundcard on Apple products is better than the average, considering it's aimed more at the music industry than ,for example, a gaming Laptop. Does anyone here run a Macbook Pro with a USB DAC and can confirm that it makes a noticeable difference?

For a DAC/Amp combination I'm looking at the fiio e10. Looks very nice; like a newer version of the e7, but more suited for my needs. I am still really interested in one of the small tube amps though; they just look absolutely stunning... (and that's how the addiction starts)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back