Would an Amp Help? If yes...Suggestions Please
Dec 5, 2005 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Homeless

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I just got a set of E3C's, and I'm not here to complain about them, they sound great...super clear etc. The bass is accurate, could be a little more thumpy though. Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to be bloated, but a tad more without having to use the EQ on my iPod (mini) would be nice. So, I was wondering if an amp would be to my benifit? Would it add anything to the E3's? or would the difference be too small to justify the money spent?

As I mentioned I'm using E3C's right now straight outta my iPod mini. I have never used a headphone amp before so I'm not too sure what I'm looking for. I've reviewed around here a little bit, but I'll put it to anyone here who would be in the know.

I'd want to get a pocketdock, Turbodock, or one of the SiK products to use the line out, then an interconnect, but which amp? As far as I've gathered some amps are better matched to certain sources and certain cans. Anyone have any recommendations? I've seen mint tin amps here and on ebay and they with cmoy designs and others, I 've looked at things like the PA2V2, the list goes on and on...oh yeah, and then there is the hornet, which is just gorgeous, but may be overkill (both for the E3's and my wallet)

Anyway, I'll leave it to anyone who has some input...maybe suggest an amp, interconnect, and which iPod dock would be best...thanks...btw, while typing this I've been listening to Lateralus by Tool and it sounds fantastic...Do I really need an amp or do I just like new toys?

Dec 5, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Well, I just got a set of E3C's, and I'm not here to complain about them, they sound great...super clear etc. The bass is accurate, could be a little more thumpy though. Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to be bloated, but a tad more without having to use the EQ on my iPod (mini) would be nice. So, I was wondering if an amp would be to my benifit? Would it add anything to the E3's? or would the difference be too small to justify the money spent?

As I mentioned I'm using E3C's right now straight outta my iPod mini. I have never used a headphone amp before so I'm not too sure what I'm looking for. I've reviewed around here a little bit, but I'll put it to anyone here who would be in the know.

I'd want to get a pocketdock, Turbodock, or one of the SiK products to use the line out, then an interconnect, but which amp? As far as I've gathered some amps are better matched to certain sources and certain cans. Anyone have any recommendations? I've seen mint tin amps here and on ebay and they with cmoy designs and others, I 've looked at things like the PA2V2, the list goes on and on...oh yeah, and then there is the hornet, which is just gorgeous, but may be overkill (both for the E3's and my wallet)

Anyway, I'll leave it to anyone who has some input...maybe suggest an amp, interconnect, and which iPod dock would be best...thanks...btw, while typing this I've been listening to Lateralus by Tool and it sounds fantastic...Do I really need an amp or do I just like new toys?

Reading your post, two amps immediately jumped into mind (well 4 really). I've found that the iPod bass boost sounds horrible, it seems to muddy up the sound badly.

Recently I got a Xin Supermini with bassboost that really took the bass coming out of my ER-4S to another level. This amp runs for $200 but you sometimes get it for $150 when Xin has a sale. We think he might have one around Christmas again. You can also get the Supermacro V6 at $350 ($300 on sale) or the Supermicro at $170 ($140 on sale).

Now there's also the LaRocco Portable Reference II which features a variable bass boost that apparently is focussed on the lowest of bass frequencies with what I believe is a center frequency of 20Hz. The adjustment goes from 0-19dB. I think this is a major advantage in that the standard 7dB boost on Xin's amps is a little bit more than I need IMHO. This variability comes at a cost though: $510. However the LaRocco is said to be a superior amp overall even if you do not take the bass boost into consideration. I'll wait until mine arrives so I can compare before I vouch for that general perception.

Even if you are a purist, I strongly suggest you try these products as I was a "purist" before but now I've realized that sometimes on the go you just want to have fun. Consider that a manufacturer as serious as LaRocco has implemented it in their portable product.

Visit:

www.fixup.net
http://laroccoaudio.net/

Enjoy.

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 6
if you want more bass an amp can be a good idea

when you use the line-out of an ipod you bypass the circuitry that causes the known bass roll-of problem

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
Recently I got a Xin Supermini with bassboost that really took the bass coming out of my ER-4S to another level. This amp runs for $200 but you sometimes get it for $150 when Xin has a sale. We think he might have one around Christmas again. You can also get the Supermacro V6 at $350 ($300 on sale) or the Supermicro at $170 ($140 on sale).

Now there's also the LaRocco Portable Reference II which features a variable bass boost that apparently is focussed on the lowest of bass frequencies with what I believe is a center frequency of 20Hz. The adjustment goes from 0-19dB. I think this is a major advantage in that the standard 7dB boost on Xin's amps is a little bit more than I need IMHO. This variability comes at a cost though: $510. However the LaRocco is said to be a superior amp overall even if you do not take the bass boost into consideration. I'll wait until mine arrives so I can compare before I vouch for that general perception.

When comparing the two amps above, keep in mind that they differ greatly in their portability. Xin's Supermini is much smaller and has a very long battery life, so it may be a better choice for portable use.

Dec 6, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Thanks for the suggestions...I'll look into the different amps. One other question though...So the E3's are worth amping?

Yes, but IME (Supermini-3), the difference was not night and day, and the Supermini-3's bass boost did not sound good to me w/ the E3c (since there are already 2 or 3 SMini-3 suggestions).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back