Would an amp be benefitial with my Master & Dynamic MW65's
Jan 23, 2020 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BaseballSavant

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased the Master & Dynamic MW65's and have quickly fallen in love with them. I know they aren't on the high end but I wanted a pair that had noise-canceling for when I was away from my desk. I tried out the Sony wh-1000xm3 but I didn't enjoy what I felt - as someone with very little knowledge - to be a bass-heavy sound and only use the noise-canceling for about 5% of the time.

With that said I do have a couple of questions.

I read in this article that purchasing an amp for noise-canceling headphones won't do anything noticeable but I'm looking to find out if that still applies if I spend most of my time with it off. 95% of the time, the headphones are switched off and I have them plugged into either my iPhone or laptop.

My second question is, would an amp likely make a difference at all in the sound. I've been reading so much and spending a lot of time between here and Reddit that I'm more confused than when I started. My headphones have an impedance of 32 Ohms, is there still a chance I would hear an improved sound?

The obvious answer is for me to take in my headphones and try out a couple of amps but, unfortunately, I'm in a situation where that is not really a possibility and shipping takes significant time. With that said, is it worth my time giving it a shot?

I'm currently looking at the Schiit Magni 3 Hersey

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 2
Sorry ro join/necro this conversation years later. I only just upgraded from MW60 to MW65 and I think I have a lot to contribute to this and indeed any thread on the MW60/65.

Unfortunately, no Mojo will help, or any amp. They have a much lower SPL capacity than the MW60, and lost all the bass that made the MW60 special from a bass-lover/basshead's perspective.

I think they fixed most of the quality, reliability and other QC issues which resulted in (I'm sure) many, many returned pairs of MW60. I had two or three replaced within even their (pitiful) one-year warranty, and several stolen as well. But I loved the sound so much and their capacity to be driven hard that I couldn't help buying them again and again. They had amazing sound but but were bad for nearly everything else. I was hoping the MW65 fix all the problems of the MW60 but sound mostly the same. Unfortunately while the former may be true, the latter certainly isn't.

I think the fit and comfort are both vastly superior. The lower weight helps here no doubt (replacing steel with aluminium). But they clearly took other steps to address some of the flaws of the MW60. They made larger and double stiched part of the headband, which was prone to break open as happened in one of my pairs (hint, it wasn't even stitched but glued together). The audio jack is much tighter and doesn't feel like it will just drop out randomly while walking as happened with the MW60s--remember they were supposed to be portable headphones. The jack also appeared to be very weak because it ultimately failed many times. They changed the earpad connection because, though the magnetic connection in the MW60s was cool, it was far too weak which resulted in many lost earpads when out and about (remember again, these are supposed to be portable headphones). They changed the cups from folding inward towards towards the bad to just rotating to a more flat position. I wonder (or suspect) that this was in part because of connection problems encountered with the MW60.

So I love all the fixes of the MW65. They clearly learnt some lessons; from warranty obligations probably. The MW60s and all their products still only carry a 1-year warranty unless you live in the EU. Think about that: They're not prepared to stand behind their product (for obvious reasons as I've explained by all the issues I had) for more than 1 year unless they're legally required to do so. Also, they're not prepared to offer the warranty that is legally required in the EU to other parts of the world. For this kind of money, just offer 2 years if you actually have faith in your product! Yes, you can pull in rich folk or those with high disposable income to keep buying your products for a while (à la Apple), but at least with Apple their quality and service actually warrants the confidence. These are Made-In-China remember.

If I sound very negative I might list some of the good things. I think these are awesome headphones for the stylish city type to take on the commute and use at work if allowed. They still have a great mid sound. I think they sound as good as most headphones half the price but look a lot better, are way more comfortable, and (hopefully) are far ore reliable than what I experienced with the MW60s. I think they're worth it on sale as a commuter pair, especially for their vastly improved battery life and fast-charging via USB-C. I'm still happy that I got these, because the alternative is buying worse-sounding, worse-looking headphones that I care even less about. I spent $150 on absolute trash because I was drunk and desperate. These are not trash.

I JUST WANT MY MW60 SOUND BACK IN HEADPHONES THAT CAN BE DRIVEN LOUD VIA A DAC AND HAVE THAT NIGHTCLUB SOUND LIKE THE MW60s HAD.

MW70 WISH LIST. SOUND OF THE M60 WITH HIGH DRIVING SUPPORT AND THE FIT, COMFORT, AND (HOPEFULLY) RELIABILITY OF THE MW65.

That is all.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back