Would a xonar essence stx be able to power a dt 770 250 ohm?
Nov 8, 2009 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Fakeyfakerson

100+ Head-Fier
Think I'm going to end up with the xonar essence stx since they go on sale on newegg for $115 for an open box. From what I've read, this card has a built in amp, so would that be enough to power the 250 ohm version of the dt 770's without any other equipment, or should I stick with the 80 ohm?

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 26
Stick to the 80Ohm, this soundcard does not have nearly enough power to drive them properly.

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 26
No, no, no, no, no and no.

Amps are not jsut amps, and some phnoes require decent power and voltage swing to activate the drivers properly/

There are plenty that would also argue that the 80ohm should have at least a entry level desktop amp, as these provide power, sound card and USB portable amps don't, or at least not near enough.

Those are decent phones, they're worth matching to

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asus STX matches all the required specs required to drive these headphone properly.
Granted it might not be the best amp around ( adds slight sibilance ) but for its price its a steal.

This is what I thought, but I might be wrong.

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I am sure you would prefer DT 770 250 Ohm over its 80 Ohm version at any time.

From what I've gathered, that's only true if they're sufficiently powered. A 250 ohm will sound much worse with onboard audio for instance than an 80 ohm. I'm wondering whether the amp on the essence stx is powerful enough to drive the 250 ohm version, which does sound better than the 80 when done right.

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fakeyfakerson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've gathered, that's only true if they're sufficiently powered. A 250 ohm will sound much worse with onboard audio for instance than an 80 ohm. I'm wondering whether the amp on the essence stx is powerful enough to drive the 250 ohm version, which does sound better than the 80 when done right.

That sound card is specified for driving 600 Ohm loads. And op-amps are easily swappable, so if you do not like the sound, you can get some better for yourself.

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

And I am sure you would prefer DT 770 250 Ohm over its 80 Ohm version at any time.

If we're comparing pro models sure. But if we are comparing DT770 consumer 250 and DT770 pro 80, then the pro wins for me.
They both have out of control bass but the highs on the 770 consumer are just AWFUL

also @ the op not a chance.
The STX amp is built from about $2 worth of parts. There are amps with >$100 of parts that struggle to drive beyers.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

That sound card is specified for driving 600 Ohm loads. And op-amps are easily swappable, so if you do not like the sound, you can get some better for yourself.

Yes, the card can take a 600ohm load, it cannot put out the power to manage that load on a regular basis.

You have a Nissan Micra; it's rated to take 5 passengers and luggage. You load it up with your wife and 3 kids, and go on a extended road trip in the rocky mountains. How do you think it would go?

A range Rover V8 is also rated for 5 passengers and their luggage. How would that fare on the same trip?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also @ the op not a chance.
The STX amp is built from about $2 worth of parts. There are amps with >$100 of parts that struggle to drive beyers.

Exactly. Specs don't tell the whole story.

Power, not ability to shoulder load, is the issue here. The 770 are very likely to get the STX out of shape and induce clipping.

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #13 of 26
When I was using 250 ohm DT770 consumers and DT770 80 ohm pros from an stx i didnt was no clipping except maybe on a few select songs where there was very low bass (50hz and below). But it just did not sound good.
I do not like these headphones much anyway (too much bass for me) but they were very slow and the 250 was even brighter than they are when amped and the bass had zero texture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back