would a portable DAC/amp help me? Loud laptop
Oct 18, 2011 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

twildwood2

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
    So I got a HP laptop with beats audio and when I use my IEMs it is reallly loud.  I have volume 1 notch above nothing.  Would picking up Fiio E10 or another amp/dac help make it so that it is not so loud and enjoyable to listen to?

Or does anybody else have any other ideas that I can use my laptop as a source without blowing my ear drums out. 

Thanks

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 3
It sounds like there is another audio control for the volume you are hearing.  Even though you have it at volume setting 1 you should be able to turn down the source volume.

Try:
Start Menu
Control Panel
Sounds and Audio Devices
Move to the Audio Tab
Click on Volume and begin adjusted the individual volume controls

There is no reason why you should not be able to achieve much lower volume.  A DAC will not necessarily cure this, but it could help clean up the sound a bit by eliminating the noise from the various components within your PC.  A better DAC would also improve sound quality in other respects, but the issue is about finding the correct volume control.

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 3
I have to keep my volume control below 6 when using headphones. My current external soundcard doesn't fix that, since it uses the computer to change the volume.

I think a DAC with an analog volume control would be able to go lower, but it might depend on the model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back