Would a new DAC be an upgrade ?
Feb 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bamxcore

New Head-Fier
I currently have this sound chip on my motherboard  

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/audio/codecs/vt1708/

Was thinking about getting a Fiio E10 and was just wondering if it would be worth it ? I don't know what to look for in the specifications of a good DAC and have no idea if the one in my computer is good or not.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 8
Most of the time, motherboard companies spend very little for audio.  A Fiio E10 would probably give you an improvement and the ability to use it with your portable media player.  Don't expect too much of an improvement if you don't have a nice set of cans/speakers to use it with though.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 8
Don't forget the performance of the amp as well! I am fortunate to have a stack full of amps going back a very long time ( I just can't get myself to sell any of them), and when I use the same DAC with a different amp I am just bowled over by the difference. From the warm glow of bottles, passing by VFETs and MOSFETS, and ending up with T and D amps: they all sound so different with the same DAC.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 8
I need to get some new headphones but I don't have a massive budget, I was planning on getting either a set of AKG 240mk 2's or audio technica ATH-M50 as I have heard good things about both, I just bought a set of microlab FC360 to replace my creative g550 that were on their way out and these little speakers are pretty impressive, so much more clarity than my old ones, was thinking of getting a fiio e10 for now and then later down the line getting the E9 to go with it.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Most of the time, motherboard companies spend very little for audio.  

And one has to say, so what? A [size=14.399999618530273px]TL074 containing 4 low noise op amps costs 35 cents. DAC chips in bulk are similar prices. A Sansa Clip, with noise and jitter below audible levels is $30 at retail, and that includes a li-ion cell, an amoled, casing, controls. [/size]

[size=14.399999618530273px]1. If you can't hear a jitter problem (it will sound like old-style wow-and-flutter) then don't worry about it[/size]

[size=14.399999618530273px]2. If your PC's amp isn't producing enough power, get the cheapest Fiio that will drive your headphones. Or a buy a $30 Clip+ and use that as your player.[/size]

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
And one has to say, so what? A [size=14.399999618530273px]TL074 containing 4 low noise op amps costs 35 cents. DAC chips in bulk are similar prices. A Sansa Clip, with noise and jitter below audible levels is $30 at retail, and that includes a li-ion cell, an amoled, casing, controls. [/size]

I'm not bashing onboard audio by no means, for the average consumer, it is more than enough.  I'm just saying that audio is pretty much an after thought when producing these.  The Sansa clip is a great little PMP, you really can't beat it for the price.  But what I was getting at, was that unless the OP had some kind of high impedance equipment, it wouldn't make the upgrade worth while. 

OP, if you're happy with what you hear, there really isn't a need to upgrade. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

I'm not bashing onboard audio by no means, for the average consumer, it is more than enough.  I'm just saying that audio is pretty much an after thought when producing these.  

This is surprisingly far from true for a lot of common motherboards. Decent sound is a big priority for games consoles (not just for gaming but to infiltrate preferred media technologies into the living room.) Nvidia developed the audio system for the xbox, they reused it for their standard mobos, and since then the standard has been damn high - certainly regarding jitter, because it is just so cheap to get it below audible levels. And making decent dac/moderately powered amp combos in huge quantities is dirt cheap, especially when you adding them onto a motherboard that is already going through a manufacturing line.

People who make DACs and their shills promote all sorts of myths about the jitter and general sound from onboard audio, especially that electrical noise messes it up, but - hello, if noise was that high, wouldn't you see it on the PC's video output???  It certainly varies - but if you can't hear a problem, then spending money to "improve" the sound output is almost certainly a waste of time

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
People who make DACs and their shills promote all sorts of myths about the jitter and general sound from onboard audio, especially that electrical noise messes it up, but - hello, if noise was that high, wouldn't you see it on the PC's video output???  It certainly varies - but if you can't hear a problem, then spending money to "improve" the sound output is almost certainly a waste of time.

There is noise but the video refresh rate is higher than the eye can resolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back