Would a DAC/amp be worth it if I already have a FireWire sound card hooked to my MacBook pro?
Dec 12, 2011 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ummagawd

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Long time viewer that eventually lead me to my first set of customs (1964-q). I've thoroughly enjoyed them for nearly 7 months now.

I think I'm ready to take it to the next level with an entry level product from Fiio or equivalent in price point. But as I read more, I'm beginning to think that I might not have much to gain with such a product.

When listening out of my iPhone, it means I'm normally doing something that wouldn't allow me to immerse myself into the music where I'd notice a difference in how things sound. At that point it's just background music to me while I go about what I'm doing.

When i use them to DJ, same thing, I'm more concentrated on DJing to notice the sound signature.

It's when I zone out in from of my laptop where I pay attention to the details.

With that said, I already have an m-audio 1814 FireWire sound card for hooking up my production/DJ needs. It does have it's own separate outputs for two headphones. I understand that this equipment was NOT built with the head-fi'er in mind, but would I be splitting hairs trying to get a separate chain just for my IEMs?

And what product(s) would you recommend under 150?

Thanks for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back