Worthwhile to go from Shure e2c to Super.fi 4?
Dec 8, 2008 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Trippytiger

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, I've been away from here for a while, but I'm getting a touch of upgraditis now and Futureshop has a sale on the UE Super.fi 4 that has me intrigued. They're $72 CAD at the moment, and I happen to have a FS gift card burning a hole in my pocket to boot, so it's a very appealing deal.

Only problem is, I can't seem to find much information about them! I've searched and searched and turned up next to nothing (if there's some massive, informative thread that I've managed to miss, my apologies!). So, what say you, Head-Fi? Would the Super.fi 4 be a worthwhile upgrade from my e2c, or should I hang on to my money and my gift card?

I'd be using them with my Sony NWZ-A815 and my Creative Zen, mostly, possibly with a little Fiio e3 or e5 if it's worth doing. My music tastes are pretty varied, but overall I'll take nice mids over deep bass, although I do prefer a warmer sound.

Cheers!
ksc75smile.gif
(nice new smilies, by the way)

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 7
I wasn't that impressed by the SF4, to be honest..
Just my opinion though.

Dec 8, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 7
They're quite a bit better than the E2c, but then again, a dead rat sounds better than E2c.

I found the super.fi 4 to be quite decent-sounding. Nothing special, nothing seriously wrong with them. But for me, like most UE universals, fit was a serious issue, so I don't have them anymore.

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 7
I actually quite like my e2c! They aren't much for detail, no, but they've got a warm fun sound to them - at least once they've been modded.

I had a bit better luck with my research after I posted, and while I'm not sure the SF4 are going to have exactly what I'm looking for, they're cheap enough and convenient enough to be worth a shot.

Thanks for the replies!

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 7
how do you find the UE4s?
i'm in the same situation with the Future Shop gift card!

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're quite a bit better than the E2c, but then again, a dead rat sounds better than E2c.

I found the super.fi 4 to be quite decent-sounding. Nothing special, nothing seriously wrong with them. But for me, like most UE universals, fit was a serious issue, so I don't have them anymore.

Hey, hey now! It has to be a dead VIBRATING rat in order to produce sound!

Also, I'd suggest getting the Shure SCL4 instead of the Super.fi 4, considering you can snag the SCL4 for about $80 @ music123.com, assuming the sale is still on.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, hey now! It has to be a dead VIBRATING rat in order to produce sound!

Also, I'd suggest getting the Shure SCL4 instead of the Super.fi 4, considering you can snag the SCL4 for about $80 @ music123.com, assuming the sale is still on.

Agreeing with this completely. E4c/SCL4 definitely one of the best things Shure's ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back