worth upgrading?
Jul 11, 2011 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Daydreamin747

Head-Fier
hey, before i was introduced to this sight i honestly thought ipods were of the highest quality.but, apparently there are better mp3 players. i have a 4th generation ipod touch. i was wondering if it was worth upgrading to a better music player. i dont care at all about fashion, just sound quality and portability.

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 7
Make sure your music files are at least 320kps or higher before buying/upgrading your rig.  Or you could wait for a Fiio X3 review and see if the dap's is what is all crack up to be.  Or buy a cheap amp(cmoy, Fiio E11, Soundmagic A10, PA2V2) and connect it using the line out device of the ipod instead of the headphone jack(if the bigger portability isn't an issue.  

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
hey, before i was introduced to this sight i honestly thought ipods were of the highest quality.but, apparently there are better mp3 players. i have a 4th generation ipod touch. i was wondering if it was worth upgrading to a better music player. i dont care at all about fashion, just sound quality and portability.

Get the Equalizer app, and learn how to use it.....with it, my Touch 4G holds its own against every other player I own.

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:

Actually the 4th Gen iPod Touch has quite a clean DAC - and is not bad as a player.  I switched from a Cowon iAudio7 and have never regretted it.  I do use an entry level amp (Fiio E11) via the line-out (LOD) and I think there is a worth while improvement.  JDS Cmoys are supposed to be good as well.

What headphones/IEMs are you using?  If you're looking at spending money on an upgrade, you'd probably be better looking at the things that will make the most difference.  As your DAP is OK - look at headphones next, and if needed, an amp.

Also - if you do use EQ - look in the App store for an application called Equalizer.  It adds a parametric graphic equalizer which is far better than Apple's inbuilt one.

EDIT Hah - beaten to the punch ^

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 7
OK - nice cans.  I guess the question is - are YOU happy with your current set-up (ie the sound quality)?  Don't necessarily go by a few comments you hear.  I was very much anti-Apple (read big Cowon fan) before I actually got to compare the two side by side.

If you're looking for tweakability - get the Equalizer app - it's a no brainer for a few dollars.  I love my Shure SE425's - but would like them to have slightly better highs (their mids are perfect).  With a decent EQ - no problems 
wink.gif

If you want to take it another step - you could try an entry level amp.  I own the E11 - and I find it a very nice pairing with my Touch and current IEM's / cans.  It's quite a warm amp - but that suits me.  The good thing is that it has a small footprint, and has some real oomph - so should be able to drive cans needing a little more power (future purchases).  I haven't tried a CMOY - but the JDS gets very good reviews.  I can't comment on the pav2.  Personally I wouldn't get the E5 - especially when the E11 offers a lot more, but doesn't cost a great deal more.

The other advantages of using an amp are being able to use the LOD on the Touch (better signal), and also I think the SQ is better (for me).  I don't notice a lot of impact with my IEM's - but I do on my SRH840's.

The cons of using an amp - pretty much cost & also having to carry something else around.  Basically I use mine most of the time - except when I'm running - then I just use the iPod and my IEM's.

Don't expect night and day improvement with an entry level amp.  For me - about a 5% increase in SQ - but that justified my investment.

THE ALTERNATIVE
If you're simply looking for a change - don't worry about an amp for now, and consider a second pair of cans, or maybe IEM's.  Maybe look at getting something totally different.  The more you try, the more you tie down your ideal sound signature.  Plus it's fun being able to compare.

Not sure if all this helps or not.  Just don't get caught up in all the hype.  And take any advice you receive with a grain of salt (even mine).  We can only give our views - we can't translate them into what you will want.

One last bit of advice - be very aware of posters who say "get the [insert cans here]" with no reasons why.  Often they are quoting what they have in their inventory with very little thought for what the poster is actually asking for.  There are a few that do this a lot on head-fi at the moment.

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks, I find my IEM's to be uncomfortable for wearing even half an hour. Of course, mine are skullcandy, so idk if that's just cause poor quality or if it's just my ear type. I've never really tried other IEM's. I was looking at monster jamz.... Of course, I'm hesitant will all of monsters headphone equipment because of the durability issue... But that will probably be in the future as I am perfectly satisfied with my sennheisers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back