Worth upgrading from Q460 to SRH940?
Aug 8, 2012 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Erqury

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fiers,

I have recently found this website while looking into what headphones to buy and would like to start with stating how great this community input is, thus I am asking for your opinion and knowledge.

I recently (within this year) purchased an AKG Q460 and have been brought into a new realm of audio quality from the Bose headphones I used to use.

Through doing a lot of comparing and review reading I have decided on getting the Shure SRH940 if I do upgrade.

My question to the community is will I hear a big improvement with the Srh940 over my current Q460?

The Srh940 will cost me $300 plus 13% tax.

The srh940 will be my at home pair for gaming, movies, music while my q460 will be for travel and use at the office.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 9
Yes, I reckon the SRH940 is a much better headphone. Its much more of a hi-fi/monitoring headphone and has a more balanced and detailed sound than the Q460.
I liked the Q460, but I thought it was quite bassy which made for a nice and fun sounding if not entirely accurate portable headphone.

But this is not really a fair comparison considering the Q460 is a portable and a lot cheaper than the SRH940.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 9
Guess my concern is , will a $300 headphone in general going to give me much better sound, I see the $300 market as the best price to performance ratio. I understand portable vs full is not completely fair but I compare it dispute price difference because I question if I will hear alot if new sounds in my music that I never heard before for the price difference. In movies and games using Dolby surround sound driven by my Asus Phoebus will I hear directions cues better?

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Try getting the Shure SRH940 on Amazon
ir

, it's only $240.

Thanks for he suggestion, I have looked into amazon but because I live in Canada they will not ship here, also i am moving within a month and i do not want to worry about shipping. $300 is the best I could find locally and online for Canada.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 9
So I went out and got the headphones. Currently listening to them. So far it is not night and day of a difference, so was it worth $300, currently undecided until I listen to more music and movies and games, but so far I am not overly impressed, I am not getting a placebo effect from this purchase.

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 9
Do you have a better source at home? If you're plugging directly into a laptop or mp3 player, you're not getting the full potential of the SRH940. A budget USB dac/amp like the Fiio e10 or Audinst HUD Mini would help a lot here.

For $300 or less, you could probably get a DT 880, K701 or used HD 600, which I think sound better and are more comfortable than the Shures. However, you'll definitely need a decent dac and amp for those options.

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Here in Austria the Q460 is a typical electronic store chain headphone sold next to the beats, it has horribly bloated bass, the midrange and highs seem unresolving and grainy. I think something like the Sennheiser HD25 would make a world of a difference. While still being slightly warm, but faster tighter bass, and more detail and clear midrange and highs. Or the DT1350 (although I didnt listen to it yet)

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Was originally testing them with my iPod touch and an E6 amp listening to flacs with the Golden Ear app. I was listening to the Dr.Chesky CD that is on the home page in 24bit, 192khz i believe.

Now I am testing the headphones with my PC which has an ASUS phoebus soundcard which I believe has a good dac and can support up to 600hms for impedance.. Listening to movie I Love You Man in blu ray.

To those who said these headphones are too light on bass, I find the bass a decent amount and more accurate. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back