Worth the upgrade?
Feb 24, 2009 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mcspectre

Head-Fier
I know this is probably my 5th post on the subject but im really close to buying a pair of fullsized headphones for home use, but i'm still hesitant being in Canada in all and headphones aren't that easy to try and purchase, but here goes.

I'm thinking i need a nice pair of closed headphones to listen to at home, but i'm not completely against open phones as long as they dont leak too much. Right now at home i'm using mostly my Senn PX100s which for 30$ i love to death and they never cease to amaze me. My gripe is that they are a little flimsy and they leak too much to be jammin in bed next to my spouse, otherwise i love them!

I'm leaning right now between AT A700s, Ultrasones 6 or 750s or Beyer DT770 and maybe even D2000s. I'm looking to get kinda the same signature as the Senns but with more clarity and refinement i guess. I wanna use these headphones for all types of music mostly live, pop and relaxing music. Cuz really if these aren't leaps and bounds beyond the PX100, i'll save my money and spend it on something else because i am currently happy with them.

So which one of these phones will be my best upgrade? I mean like really blow the lid off of the Senns! Oh and in case i'll be running them out of a Macbook or Mini3.

Lets try and keep it under 300$ (REALLY!) and minimal leakage (enough to let someone sleep beside you...)

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 2
The Beyerdynamic DT250 (80 ohm) or the Audio Technica A900 would be good choices. The DT770s will need an amp and the D2000 does as well to a lesser extent. Both also can have harsh highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back