Worth the upgrade from ER6i to HF5?
Apr 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DigDub

Headphoneus Supremus
i am immensely enjoyiing the er6i now. will hf5 be better in terms of transparency, details and low end extension? or will i be better off with the audio technica ck100 if that is an option? thanks.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 10
anyone able to advise? on second thoughts, i'd thought it will be quite foolish to go to something that is quite similar (er6i and hf5). i've heard the ck100 briefly and the mids were forward, the bass is nice, but the highs were not as transparent as the etys. i also listened to the ie8 and the bass was too overwhelming for my taste.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 10
Er6i to a HF5 will be an upgrade in overall sq. I jumped from er6i to er4p and can't imagine going back to the 6i. The hf5 is a bit under the er4p in SQ, but the overall design and cables are better. If you do upgrade, take the time to get adjusted to them.

When I first got the er4p, I was like "these don't sound better". After letting their sound marinate in my brain, I found all kinds differences in sound quality. So, back to the HF5. It'll be what you're looking for. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the ck100, but I can recommend the hf5.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 10
Yeh x2 on that Lord. I went from my bose IE's to the HF2's which is similar to the hf5's. there is nothing like hearing song you've heard a million times and it sounding like you've never heard it before. DigDub, give them a try and if you dont like them return them......

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 10
You could try the PFEs, but they aren't available in brick&mortar stores here in north america, not sure about the rest of the world.
You could also try the IE7 if you want less bass than the IE8 - the IE7 is more neutral.
But seen as you love your etys, you can't go wrong with the hf5 or er4p.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 10
ER6i to HF5 will definitely be an upgrade. HF5 use the same drivers as ER4P, and ER4P is a significant upgrade from ER6i.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 10
thanks guys. i've place an order for a black hf5 direct from etymotic. the brick and mortar store does not have a clue when they will be in stock. listened to the ck100 and ie8 again and i didn't like them.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks guys. i've place an order for a black hf5 direct from etymotic. the brick and mortar store does not have a clue when they will be in stock. listened to the ck100 and ie8 again and i didn't like them.

I don't seem to have the ear for Etys, but I'm sure you'll like them. Just like all those other Ety fanboys.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back