Worth stepping up?
Oct 17, 2012 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Codefox

100+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of Westone 3 IEMs and I'm very satisfied with my earphones right now.  My source is currently a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 using PlayerPro as the player on the device.  Since the SGP 4.2 has a Wolfson DAC, I was hoping it would be rooted and modded to use VooDoo but its been a while and not sure how soon that's likely to happen at this point.  I've really been thinking of a more serious DAP such as the HiFiMan 602.  Is it worth investing in a better player?  While I've started to get some FLAC music, most of my mp3s are 256 to 320kbps.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 6
I think it's worth it.

Other's just settle for a Clip+ and call it a day. Though I feel upgrading to a higher end source makes a big difference.

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I recently purchased a pair of Westone 3 IEMs and I'm very satisfied with my earphones right now.  My source is currently a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 using PlayerPro as the player on the device.  Since the SGP 4.2 has a Wolfson DAC, I was hoping it would be rooted and modded to use VooDoo but its been a while and not sure how soon that's likely to happen at this point.  I've really been thinking of a more serious DAP such as the HiFiMan 602.  Is it worth investing in a better player?  While I've started to get some FLAC music, most of my mp3s are 256 to 320kbps.

Hard for me to say, not having heard the 4.2.(I have the 5.0) If you're happy right now, I would wait....I think headphones make more of a difference than the player, unless you're using a godawful player like a Coby. Keep an eye out on the XDA forums......any Android tricks are sure to pop up there.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm not really unhappy...just wondering if I can be happier. 8)  I do watch the XDA forums quite closely but honestly to get the kernel I want that supports Voodoo I may have to roll it myself.  My time is just rather limited.  The biggest problem I have with the 4.2 is I think the processor isn't really powerful enough so every so often I do get music 'hiccups'.

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I'm not really unhappy...just wondering if I can be happier. 8)  I do watch the XDA forums quite closely but honestly to get the kernel I want that supports Voodoo I may have to roll it myself.  My time is just rather limited.  The biggest problem I have with the 4.2 is I think the processor isn't really powerful enough so every so often I do get music 'hiccups'.

Check into the playerpro settings, for something along the lines of audio priority, or buffer. I know in Poweramp there is a setting you can choose to do so. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I'm not really unhappy...just wondering if I can be happier. 8) 

It's almost next to impossible for anyone to tell you if you would be happy with player X vs. player Y.
I own and ipod touch 4g, ipod classic 160gb, cowon z2, and the sansa clip(s)+. They all have their +/-.
I PMed a member here before I bought my classic and asked him what he thought of it. He said it had a linear sound.
He was right. Just like the touch, the classic has a linear sound. It doesn't do any one thing real memorable. It's a good solid dap that plays music.
Now the z2 on the other hand is a different animal. It has a more "fun" sound to it. With BBE you can customize it to your liking(yes the classic has some preset EQ settings, but they're pretty worthless).
Now.. my post could ruffle some feathers and people would argue that the classic sounds better than the z2 or visa verse and that's the point. Different people have different tastes.
In order to find the sound you like sometimes it takes owning multiple daps to get there.
I prefer the sound of the z2, but I love the simplistic beauty of the classic(like an old friend, it wont let you down).
I guess my point is, like Achmedisdead said, if you're happy with what you have stick with it. Buying different daps is fun, but can be a slippery slope and will always cause you to second guess what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back