Worth replacing Schiit Fulla 2 with Modi 2 for use with Vali 2 amp?
Mar 3, 2017 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RiflemanFirst

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

As the title says, I am currently using a Schiit Fulla 2 with a Vali 2 amp for my desktop computer. I'm very happy with the sound using my HD598 SE headphones. Would there be any benefits to replacing the Fulla 2 with a Modi 2? I understand that the Modi 2 Uber would also give me more input options, but I only planned to use USB to keep things simple. Considering the Fulla 2 and Modi 2 both use the AKM AK4490 DAC, would there be any noticeable improvement in sound quality? I figure I will keep the Fulla 2 as a portable DAC/amp if I decide to replace it, but I'm just unsure if its even worth spending another $100-150 on a different DAC for my current usage, which is just gaming and Tidal HiFi listening. 

Any input/advice would be appreciated!

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 7
Based on the lack of replies, I guess I should just stick with the Fulla 2's DAC for now then. If I want a noticeable change in sound quality, I'd be better off tube rolling the Vali and/or buying better headphones anyways.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 7
I've only read opinions, but many seem to think the regular Modi 2 is almost made obsolete by the Fulla 2. The question would then be whether the Modi 2 Multibit is a worthwhile upgrade... 

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 7
At this point, I think buying a Modi 2 would just satisfy my OCD because it would look better and stack perfectly with the Vali 2. I MAY just end up buying the Modi Multibit for the improved DAC though. That said, I figure I'll need better headphones and/or ears to hear the difference. I plan to eventually get the HD650 or HD6XX IF they ever show up on Massdrop again. Fingers crossed, but not getting my hopes up.

Anyone here using the Modi Multibit with the Vali 2?

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Get the modi mulbitibit. Great synergy and musicality with the Vali 2 that I got to hear at the NY CanJam.

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to update this thread. I ended up buying the Modi Multibit & PYST RCAs and have been using them since last week with my Vali 2. Definitely enjoying the new setup. I returned the Fulla 2 for a refund since it was still in the 15 day return window and I didn't need another DAC/amp on my desktop.

I also got some new HD650s from Amazon and they sound great with this setup too. A definite step up from the HD598s for my tastes.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the reply, I forgot to update this thread. I ended up buying the Modi Multibit & PYST RCAs and have been using them since last week with my Vali 2. Definitely enjoying the new setup. I returned the Fulla 2 for a refund since it was still in the 15 day return window and I didn't need another DAC/amp on my desktop.

I also got some new HD650s from Amazon and they sound great with this setup too. A definite step up from the HD598s for my tastes.

Good schiit :wink:

Enjoy your new system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back