Worth it? Which One?
Jan 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

whitedragon551

100+ Head-Fier
Just picked up my first set of real headphones. I went with the Shure SRH750DJ's from an authorized dealer.

I will be mainly using them with my iPod Touch 2nd Gen, my Asus M50SV-A1 laptop with a Realtek HD Audio card, or my HTC Incredible. I mainly picked the 750's because they seem to get raving reviews in terms of pleasurable listening and working great with portable players with amping them. However as you can tell from my sig I have an addiction to audio.

First and foremost is it worth it going with a portable amp? Im wanting to stay around $30 since this will be my first serious portable amp just to get the feel for the hobby. Ive been reading on the Fiio E5 and Fiio E6. Id prefer something with a rechargable battery and something with a decent battery life since Ill be using this stuff on University campus. What other options do I have? Should I go E5 or E6?

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 9
Read this - all of it - and get back to us:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/374155/leaving-portable-hifi-its-too-silly

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 9
That's a good post. But trying to be even more non conforming than we already are by trying to kill off or say that portable hi fi is just silly is just plain....well. it's a good read but. whatever.

I recommend the E6, however, the e11 is a much better investment. you will be moving up soon formt he E6 and the E11 is what comes next. Why spend $100 on both when u can just spend $65 for the e11. but i feel you. You just want to get started. If so, then the E6 is a good choice :)

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 9
I think you'll find the 71B is more expensive at $650+Shipping+Paypal fees - all up, dont expect a whole lot of change from 700 USD. Then you have the cost of the adapter to hook your headphones up in balanced mode, and so it goes. Still, ask people who actually own the thing and they will tell you that there is nothing better in a portable amp.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 9
I own both the FiiO E5 and the FiiO E-11. I can tell you right away that the E-11 is better. I got one on Amazon for about $65 with a charger and an extra battery and it is well worth the price. The E5 failed to impress me and I often skipped it.

On the usefulness of a portable amp, I can guarantee you that you will feel a difference. I do not own the Shure you intend to use nor knows its impedance but the portable amps seem to provide a bit more power to the sound than my Iphone4 and add in warmth and headstage.

For hard to power headphones like my AKG Q701, the E-11 amp need to be maxed out to deliver correctly while the sound lose most appeal on the Iphone unamped.

Overall, yes, a portable amp is a sound choice if you intend to use high end headphones and a necessary choice if you use headphones with low output and high impedance.
Since I only own two and from the same manufacturer, I will not say that FiiO provides the best products. What I can say is that I am fully satisfied with the FiiO E11. Note that it is better to connect it from the Apple connection than the headphone output. An adapter is necessary.
I am also curious of the opinion of other users about other brands.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Read this - all of it - and get back to us:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/374155/leaving-portable-hifi-its-too-silly

Fun read, however the writer talks about reading reviews by people and you should find out for yourself why should I believe him? Seems like he is promoting exactly what he tells you not to.

Quote:
And I recommend the most expensive portable amp Ray Samuels has for sale. Who's right ?

Awesome. Thanks for staying on topic.

Quote:
I think you'll find the 71B is more expensive at $650+Shipping+Paypal fees - all up, dont expect a whole lot of change from 700 USD. Then you have the cost of the adapter to hook your headphones up in balanced mode, and so it goes. Still, ask people who actually own the thing and they will tell you that there is nothing better in a portable amp.

Again more useless information that doesnt pertain to this thread.

Quote:
I own both the FiiO E5 and the FiiO E-11. I can tell you right away that the E-11 is better. I got one on Amazon for about $65 with a charger and an extra battery and it is well worth the price. The E5 failed to impress me and I often skipped it.

On the usefulness of a portable amp, I can guarantee you that you will feel a difference. I do not own the Shure you intend to use nor its impedance but the portable amps seem to provide a bit more power to the sound than my Iphone4 and add in warmth and headstage.

For hard to power headphones like my AKG Q701, the E-11 amp need to be maxed out to deliver correctly while the sound lose most appeal on the Iphone unamped.

Overall, yes, a portable amp is a sound choice if you intend to use high end headphones and a necessary choice if you use headphones with low output and high impedance.
Since I only own two and from the same manufacturer, I will not say that FiiO provides the best products. What I can say is that I am fully satisfied with the FiiO E11. Note that it is better to connect it from the Apple connection than the headphone output. An adapter is necessary.
I am also curious of the opinion of other users about other brands.

Specs of the Shures are as follows:

Transducer type
Dynamic neodymium magnet 
Driver size
50 mm 
Sensitivity (1kHz)
106 dB/mW 
Impedance (1kHz)
32 Ω 
Max. input Power
3000 mW 
Frequency range
5 Hz - 30 kHz 
Net weight (without cable)
8 oz. (227 g) 
Shipping weight
24.8 oz. (703 g) 
Length of cable
3 meters (9.84 ft) 
Type of cable
Detachable coiled oxygen-free copper 
Plug
Gold-plated 1/8" (3.5 mm) stereo mini jack

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Fun read, however the writer talks about reading reviews by people and you should find out for yourself why should I believe him? Seems like he is promoting exactly what he tells you not to.

Awesome. Thanks for staying on topic.

Again more useless information that doesnt pertain to this thread.

Specs of the Shures are as follows:

Transducer type
Dynamic neodymium magnet 
Driver size
50 mm 
Sensitivity (1kHz)
106 dB/mW 
Impedance (1kHz)
32 Ω 
Max. input Power
3000 mW 
Frequency range
5 Hz - 30 kHz 
Net weight (without cable)
8 oz. (227 g) 
Shipping weight
24.8 oz. (703 g) 
Length of cable
3 meters (9.84 ft) 
Type of cable
Detachable coiled oxygen-free copper 
Plug
Gold-plated 1/8" (3.5 mm) stereo mini jack

the E6 can already drive them well. The E11 will make the bass tighet, punchier and make it sound better and also leave you room for upgrading. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back