Worth it to upgrade amp for er4s?
Dec 6, 2006 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pgbass

Head-Fier
I'm a relatively new to this, so let me give some background info before I pose my question:
I've owned my er4's for about a year now and really love them. About 6 months ago i purchased a PA2V2 along with a p-s cable and a turbo dock.
To be quite honest, with the exception of the p-s factor, I can't really hear any difference in sq with the PA2V2 and my er4s. I listen to mostly jazz on a 5G ipod and my music is for the most part encoded at a bitrate of 160bps.
I've been doing some research on these forums and have found that a lot of people believe that the SupermacroIV is a great match with the er4s.
So my question is- given the fact that my ears do not notice a difference with the PA2V2, and the encoding of my music, is it going to be worth it for me to shell out 350 bucks for the supermacro? Will I hear a substantial difference in sq?

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 2
I was using a PA2v2 to amp the line out from my ZV:M with ER4P. I recently bought a Supermini IV to use with the ER4P & ZV:M. I was very surprised at the improvement over the PA2v2.

While the impedance switch(P>S) did make a nice difference, the overall SQ was easily worth the money to me.

Some people say they can't hear any improvement using even a budget amp such as the PA2v2 with a line out to IEMs but to me it's noticeable. With my DAP the soundstage widens and detail is increased with the PA2v2. Not a huge difference but it is there. With the Supermini IV, there's a very obvious improvement.

I listen to mostly LAME highest quality VBR MP3 on my DAP but I do have some lower bit rate and I feel that at 160~192 the difference is still there.

You wouldn't need to buy the most expensive Xin amp from what I've read, even the SuperMicro is great. There's also the SuperMacro-LE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back