Worth Getting an AMP / DAC for Philips X2HRs?
Feb 23, 2021 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mkmossop

Head-Fier
I've read all around that these don't really need an amp, but may benefit from one, so I'm not sure what to do.

I play off my phone (Galaxy S9).

If I were to get an AMP/DAC budget would be $100 to $150.

Thanks for any help!

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 7
Do you hear any hissing, static, or anything else sounding wrong of "off" when you hear things through them? If not, you don't need a DAC.

Do the headphones get loud enough to enjoy what you are listening to? If they do, then you don't need an amp.

If you find that you need either of these things, a lot of the times the problems can be solved with a USB-dongle DAC/amp. I also have an S9, and I use the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. I was told that it measures just as good as any $100-150 DAC, and it can take my headphones loud enough to be painful. I think I paid like $40 for it on Amazon, but I've since seen it as low as $35. In my case, I was having high-pitched like coil whine sound and occasional clipping when using EQ on my Elegias. All of which was solved with the use of this device. There's a whole thread here on USB-C dongle-DACs if you want to check out different ones, but this is the only model I have tried and can speak for.

Here you go. This is the thread I was referring to.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 7
Do you hear any hissing, static, or anything else sounding wrong of "off" when you hear things through them? If not, you don't need a DAC.

Do the headphones get loud enough to enjoy what you are listening to? If they do, then you don't need an amp.

Ok that makes it very simple... thanks! I haven't actually received them yet so I don't know, but I'm guessing they'll be fine.

As for the Tempotec Sonata Pro, it looks similar to the HIDIZS Portable AMP / DAC that I've heard good things about.

One thing I don't get is that if these things are plugged directly into your phone, how do they act as an amp? I thought an amp needed an external power source to provide more power to the headphones?

Edit: ok it looks like the Tempotec and Hidizs devices are the same thing?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 7
I also bought some X2HR and my computer headphone amp seems to be less powered than the iPad. The IPad seems to sound much better so I’m thinking of getting a better amp/dac. I was considering the Tempotec / Hidizs or a Meizhu Hi-fi Pro. Should any of these be an improvement over the iPad headphone out? Any other options like these?

Or is there a small form desktop dac amp like a Fiio K3 worth under €100? I could stretch to a Topping NX4 but I don’t want to worry about batteries.

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 7
I also bought some X2HR and my computer headphone amp seems to be less powered than the iPad. The IPad seems to sound much better so I’m thinking of getting a better amp/dac. I was considering the Tempotec / Hidizs or a Meizhu Hi-fi Pro. Should any of these be an improvement over the iPad headphone out? Any other options like these?

Or is there a small form desktop dac amp like a Fiio K3 worth under €100? I could stretch to a Topping NX4 but I don’t want to worry about batteries.
Fiio K3 is a fine desktop dac/amp.

Mar 1, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 7
Just ordered a Tempotec Sonata Pro HD for €36, all the bars are closed, so I have to spend my beer money elsewhere. Wish me luck, let's see how it goes... If the DAC is as good a people say, I can always add an amp like an Atom later on. But I was listening to them again today and they don't seem to sound as light as my first impression.

Now I need a new shorter cable with less microphonics. Any recomendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back