Worth getting a DAC? (dt770 250ohm, Fiio E12 amp)
Dec 21, 2014 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HalalCadmium

New Head-Fier
Amateur audiophile here. I have a 13'' Retina MacBook Pro, dt770 250ohm, and Fiio E12 amp. Do you think it's worth buying a DAC for my setup? Or will I not hear any difference? If it is worth getting a DAC, which would you recommend?

Thanks!

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 6
ODAC or Schiit Modi 2 (non-uber) seems to be what you're looking for.

I think Modi 2 might be a better fit based on early impressions, but I could be wrong.

And even if you listen to Youtube, a DAC still makes some differences... provided your headphone and amp can render those differences, that is. From memories, I do recall the DT770 being able to do that with certain amps, though I'm not sure about the Fiio E12...

If you end up not being able to hear a difference after all, I'm sure you can return either the ODAC and Modi 2 and just be happy with the E12 and DT770.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 6
  ODAC or Schiit Modi 2 (non-uber) seems to be what you're looking for.

I think Modi 2 might be a better fit based on early impressions, but I could be wrong.

And even if you listen to Youtube, a DAC still makes some differences... provided your headphone and amp can render those differences, that is. From memories, I do recall the DT770 being able to do that with certain amps, though I'm not sure about the Fiio E12...

If you end up not being able to hear a difference after all, I'm sure you can return either the ODAC and Modi 2 and just be happy with the E12 and DT770.

Thanks! Do you have any idea whether the Modi 2 has the Mac-Haswell-incompatibility issue that the Modi apparently has?

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 6
  Thanks! Do you have any idea whether the Modi 2 has the Mac-Haswell-incompatibility issue that the Modi apparently has?

I wasn't aware the Modi had an issue? That's interesting...

Either way, I'm sure you can slot the Schiit Wyrd in there to mitigate any possible USB issue. Plus it's recommended because the Wyrd does have an improvement on power supply quality to the DAC, unless you're going Modi 2 Uber (which uses external power), but I think the Uber version won't run into the same USB power issue with Haswell chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back