Worth experimenting with ZxR + O2+ODAC?
Sep 15, 2014 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shredzy

New Head-Fier
So this is my very basic setup currently: Creative ZxR (2x OPA627BP) -> HE-400

Always been very curious to try out a decent external DAC/AMP, just want to know how it all sounds! The only thing I'm worried about is positional audio in FPS games because I play competitively. For game settings rather, I NEVER use speakers at all and most games I set to audio to "Headphones" or "2.0 Speakers" and keep in my mind I do use the SBX Pro Studio setting in the creative drivers (for surround etc).

So I'm just wondering, if this soundcard is more superior at audio positioning over amp/dac setups, will it be much different at all on a O2+ODAC?

Another option I'm considering if its even worth it:

- ZxR (through the 6mm analog, NOT USB) -> O2+ODAC (do I even need the combo?) -> HE-400

Doing this means I'll be using the amp on the ZxR and the O2....so doubling amps and the ZxR has its own DAC....so I'm confused if this is even going to improve or hinder sound quality?

I'm happy to sell the ZxR for a O2+ODAC but if audio positioning in FPS games is bad on external USB DAC/AMP's I'm not going to bother. So was wondering if I can somehow experiment/play around with my ZxR with an external dac/amp.

OR is this a waste of time/money? :frowning2:

Ty!

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 5
Not really. Planar magnetic aren't affected by amp quality much as long as there is enough current. You can use optical output from the creative card to a schiit modi optical dac, to an O2 amp. Also, always select 5.1 in games and windows control panel, headphone output in the creative drivers.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 5
  Not really. Planar magnetic aren't affected by amp quality much as long as there is enough current. You can use optical output from the creative card to a schiit modi optical dac, to an O2 amp. Also, always select 5.1 in games and windows control panel, headphone output in the creative drivers.

Thanks for the reply :)

Cheers mate, ill look into that!

EDIT: Should add that I don't believe the optical out will be affected by SBX? Not to sure :/

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 5

Thanks for the reply :)

Cheers mate, ill look into that!

EDIT: Should add that I don't believe the optical out will be affected by SBX? Not to sure :/

there is 2 ways of getting optical output. If you select it through the drivers, you should get sbx i imagine, but if you change the device in windows control panel to digital output, you won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back