Worth combining drivers from Shure e5 and 530?
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Animalbeats

New Head-Fier
Hi Folks

I'm getting re-shelled custom moulds done.

Originally I was going to get just my 530 drives done but I have some e5's with a broken cable that I'm thinking about throwing into the mix to create 5 drivers a side.

Is this worth doing, are e5's too old, will the sound be good (I know it depends on the crossover.

Answers on a postcard.

Cheers.

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 13
I personally think that nothing would change. I mean, please do note that having more drivers doesn't make anything sound better. In fact, they can make it sound mediocre due to improper crossover and tuning. But I guess it could help with extension issues that SE530 has. What company is going to reshell for you? If it's UM, I would ask steven(custom-iem.com) about that.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 13
To be honest, I doubt inearcustom will have the skill or the technical capability of tuning an iem. They just reshell. I feel like it's worth the extra $50 to get it done with UM. Also, you can ask for a universal fit if you reshell from UM, which should save you hassel of refits(they are very very common and likely to happen if you DIY the mold) and audiologist visits.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 13
Um do not combine drivers from different IEM's due to not knowing the quality of the outcome. And it is £190 per driver for them to add.

This is too much. I'm thinking about taking a risk with inearcustoms..... Both the shure were bought cheap......

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 13
I loved my e5, but they require a repair. I thought that throwing them in with 530 drivers would be a good idea while I'm at it as 5 drivers seems a pretty high mark.

Are e5 drivers too old to match into 530's?

They may help with extension issues says one man. Thank you.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #13 of 13
Technically, Balanced Armature is a very slow developing speaker. Not much has changed since it first came out. I won't worry about the drivers being too old to match(as long as they are not on the verge of breaking).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back