Worth buying Marantz 2220 on craigslist?
Dec 29, 2011 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DrGroove

100+ Head-Fier
I've been shopping around for a cheap stereo receiver for a bookshelf speaker setup, and I came upon this on craigslist. Vintage Marantz 2220 that I think is absolutely gorgeous. I could most likely get it for $100. Would this drive a pair of Pioneer BS21 speakers (6 Ohm 84dB sensitivity)? Are these old units likely to require new caps or other maintenance?

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 9
I run a 2220 into Paradigm Atom v.6's (90dB sensitivity) and at 40% volume they are too loud for a room that is 15'x25' .....all without clipping. Mine is mint and has been recapped and LED upgraded and I paid $160. I love this amp and the sound is fantastic.

Below are pics of my setup. Out of the picture is an HRT MSII+ and Dual 1019...and since this pic was taken, I have added a Schiit Asgard just to the right of the Marantz.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
I run a 2220 into Paradigm Atom v.6's (90dB sensitivity) and at 40% volume they are too loud for a room that is 15'x25' .....all without clipping. Mine is mint and has been recapped and LED upgraded and I paid $160. I love this amp and the sound is fantastic.

Below are pics of my setup. Out of the picture is an HRT MSII+ and Dual 1019...and since this pic was taken, I have added a Schiit Asgard just to the right of the Marantz.

Very nice man,  it looks great with LEDs

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Very nice man,  it looks great with LEDs

I saw the amp next to a non LED Marantz with new vellum and bulbs, and the blue was pretty close. Nice thing about LED's is they last way longer then the bulbs and don't give off heat so the vellum doesn't yellow over time. Plus the LED are direct replacements with no modifications in case someone wants to go back to bulbs.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I've been shopping around for a cheap stereo receiver for a bookshelf speaker setup, and I came upon this on craigslist. Vintage Marantz 2220 that I think is absolutely gorgeous. I could most likely get it for $100. Would this drive a pair of Pioneer BS21 speakers (6 Ohm 84dB sensitivity)? Are these old units likely to require new caps or other maintenance?

Looks like a decent buy, try to get it for $80. Does it have a wood case?

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Looks like a decent buy, try to get it for $80. Does it have a wood case?

The guy is asking 125, so I figure 100 is the best I could do. No wooden case, but I like the aluminum look 
smile.gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
The guy is asking 125, so I figure 100 is the best I could do. No wooden case, but I like the aluminum look 
smile.gif

$80 is where you'd start, and that $100 is where you end
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 9
I just came across this thread and even though it's a year old I hope someone can answer my question. Can anyone give me a ballpark idea on how much the LED upgrade is? I LOVE these receivers and recently found one with burnt out lights. Thank you :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 9
  I just came across this thread and even though it's a year old I hope someone can answer my question. Can anyone give me a ballpark idea on how much the LED upgrade is? I LOVE these receivers and recently found one with burnt out lights. Thank you :)

I'm sure this thread is pretty dead but just in case anyone is looking for an answer as to where to find LED replacements for Marantz models... do a search for them with your model number on eBay and you will find several options for LED and traditional fuse lamps.  Installation looks pretty easy for the tuner dial ones, not sure about the meters. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back