Worth buying e2c's?
Jun 30, 2005 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Drakemoor

100+ Head-Fier
I need to buy some earphone but i havn't had any real listening experience with any apart from ultra-cheapo ones so i have no real idea on how much i should spend, i'm looking at the shure e2c's, i've read some good things and some pretty negative things about them, most saying that they are 'fun' sounding but can lack detail. The only pair of 'phones i've bought up till now are phillips hp890's and i'm fairly pleased with them (apart from that damn sibilance...) Can anyone give me rough idea of how the e2c's would sound in comparison to the phillips.

Cheers

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 10
I've never heard the Phillips, but rest assured, I'd bet good money that sibilance will NOT be a problem with the E2c. As long as you acheive a good seal, the E2c is a very good entry level canal 'phone. Although they lack the highly detailed sound that many here prefer, their sound is pretty well-balanced and rather smooth.
The only fit problem I found is that, with the supplied tips, they were very uncomfortable. Until I obtained the ultra-soft flex tips, I could never wear them long enough to form an opinion of their sound. Now they fit like a glove and I can wear them for hours without any discomfort whatsoever.
Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 10
Well having to actually pick out a pair for my uncle recently. I was torn between the er6i and the e2s. I guess it depends on what you want to hear. They are both alot better then the junky headphones you are talking about.

Short.. If you like Bass go with the e2s. If you like detail go with the er6i. It also depends on what is going to be driving the headphones. Anyways there are the two models you should be looking. it. I like the bass, I would go with e2. If you need them for active use, bass is more important. And the loss of details you don't notice. Because you are doing things when listening to them.

Jun 30, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 10
sounds pretty positive so far, as far as detail goes it doesn't have to be brilliant (i wouldn't expect that from an entry level pair) but just a fairly even sound.

I know this is probably a bad idea to ask this on these forums (
tongue.gif
) but is it worth looking at the e3's instead?

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 10
e2/e2cs will sound brilliant to you if you've only heard cheapo earbuds. You'll hear a dramatic increase in detail simply because of the great isolation. If you're used to a full, bass filled sound I also think you'll be happy with them. Don't pay more than $6x shipped.

Jun 30, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
e2/e2cs will sound brilliant to you if you've only heard cheapo earbuds. You'll hear a dramatic increase in detail simply because of the great isolation. If you're used to a full, bass filled sound I also think you'll be happy with them. Don't pay more than $6x shipped.

I might be buying them from america so i'd expect to pay a bit more than that, the thing is i'm very picky about the sound and i'm wondering whether i should spend a bit more and get either the e3's or the er-6i's. Joelongwood gave the option of either bass of detail and clarity earlier, problem is that theres no way i can decide between the two, i like to have a refined sound but it's not the same without some satisfying bass to back it up.

Do you think it would be worth spending extra on the two mentioned above or would it be a gamble?

Jun 30, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakemoor
I might be buying them from america so i'd expect to pay a bit more than that, the thing is i'm very picky about the sound and i'm wondering whether i should spend a bit more and get either the e3's or the er-6i's. Joelongwood gave the option of either bass of detail and clarity earlier, problem is that theres no way i can decide between the two, i like to have a refined sound but it's not the same without some satisfying bass to back it up.

Do you think it would be worth spending extra on the two mentioned above or would it be a gamble?

Well, if you can just pull out a little bit more cash, go for e4c then. You won't be gambling anymore because it is much better than e3c or er-6i.

Jun 30, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 10
wow, in like 5 posts it went from talking about $65 e2c's to $180 e4c's, that didnt take long. I have the e2c's and a I am going to upgrade to the e4c's very soon. So I guess I am going to have to second solvexyz's reccomendation here.

Jun 30, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 10
I agree with what others have said.

good entry into max isolation canal phones for $65.

they have their flaws, but when youre on a budget and you need isolation theyre your best bet.

Note also that they sound much better post 100 hour burn-in.
Amp em with a go-vibe and their treble opens up a lot.
Amp em with a PA2 and their bass impact increases.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back