Amsties

New Head-Fier
K this is my setup,

Soundstorm DD 2 channel digital out -> Yamaha RX-V1400 -> Grado 225s

would u say it would be worth $500CND to replace with

M-Audio Revolution 2 channel anolog out -> Creek OBH-11 -> Grado 225s

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 8
Atm i own a pair of sennheiser hd580 and they sound pretty good straigt out of my abit nf7-s 2.0 soundstorm 2 but i often experience distortion if there is no sound over longer periods but when i listen to music they totaly pwn the audigy 1 !
biggrin.gif

i planning on gluing a small heatsink on to my southbridge since some ppl says it helps but the stupid mofo in the mod gear\comp parts shop sold me old dryed out thermal glue :S

tbh i dont think it would be worth it and is there anything you dont like about the soundstorm?

Jan 10, 2004 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 8
Ya but would that be better than pure Dolby Digital from my Yamaha? if i get any other soundcard ill have to be analog. crap source to great amp or great source to ok amp. nothing comes close to sound storms digital output. or how about ra-1 from receiver via headphone jack? would that work or be worth it? be better source than any soundcards analog output.... yes, no?

Jan 10, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Amsties
Ya but would that be better than pure Dolby Digital from my Yamaha? if i get any other soundcard ill have to be analog. crap source to great amp or great source to ok amp. nothing comes close to sound storms digital output. or how about ra-1 from receiver via headphone jack? would that work or be worth it? be better source than any soundcards analog output.... yes, no?

I don't know what you're talking about. Are you comparing your Soundstorm's digital out to that of an AP, Q10 or Digipad?
eek.gif
confused.gif

I think you'd be better off with a good analog source.

All sound is heard in analog, it's just where you really want it converted. Your receiver likely has a DAC in it, however you're still relying on the quality of the DAC in your receiver. If you would get a soundcard with a higher-quality DAC, you'd likely notice a significant improvement in sound.

Sorry if that's incoherent, I'm running on an hour of sleep.

Feb 8, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amsties
Soundstorm DD 2 channel digital out -> Yamaha RX-V1400 -> Grado 225s

Here is mine (i need to change atleast sound card because there is no asio support in my current):
foobar2000 with asio plugin -> (asio4all because no asio driver/support for sound card) -> gainward hollywood 5.1 digital out -> yamaha rx-v650 (pure direct mode) -> Sennheiser HD580, Beyerdynamic DT880-2006.

If i want dolby headphone then i just use dolby headphone plugin for foobar2000 (requires windvd or some other with dolby headphone licensed dll).

Music is flac or 320Kbit mp3.

So far i need better digital transport from computer to amp. After that i maybe need separate dac or dac&amp compo.. maybe.. 100% sure if you believe these forums
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back