worst vocalist(s)of all time.
Sep 26, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #16 of 45
William Hung. </thread>

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #18 of 45
I'm going to have to go with Yoko Ono here. She was just absolutely dreadful. Her voice SCARED me!
eek.gif

Bob Dylan's voice may be terrible, but it's full of passion and pain. He gets brownie points for that. Plus, his lyrics are beautiful.

William Haung doesn't even count because he never really sang 'music' in the first place (it was a publicity stunt - he cashed in on his five minutes of fame).

Gwen Stefani's voice is absolutely horrible now -- but it wasn't always. When she was playing Ska music with No Doubt, she was raw. That counts for something.

Axl Rose has a pretty bad voice, I'll agree there.
tongue.gif

Also, Bon Scott has a terrible voice. It's obnoxious, it's disgusting in a way, and it's horribly unmusical. It isn't even a voice that could get a crowd pumped up. It was raspy, annoying, and pitifully weak. He had no power in that voice at all.

William Shatner's voice is a joke. It was all a parody from the beginning, methinks.

I don't know where you got Elton John from. It's not good by any means, but it's not noteworthy of being bad in my opinion...

Sep 26, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #19 of 45
I'd bet that the great bulk of pop singers today would make cats cry if they busted out a song without running it through pitch correction and all those other cheats first.

But obviously, there is without a doubt one worst vocalist of all time who has no other redeeming musical qualities, and could not be made pleasureable to the ear with any amount of digital cosmetics: Me. Trust me, anyone you think of, I'm worse.

Sep 26, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #20 of 45
the vocalist from Bright Eyes, Kana, a lot of Chinese and Japanese pop singers, a lot of Visual Kei vocalist, singers from emo bands, a whole bunch of singers from death metal bands, and current american teen-pop singers and some from a couple yrs back
frown.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
LOUIE ARMSTRONG?!!!!!!!!!
eek.gif

Well, sure. Of course his genius was such that he could use his weak voice to great effect.
smily_headphones1.gif

Though perhaps I've misinterpreted the intent of the thread. Armstrong, Dylan, and J. Mitchell are great vocalists with kinda bad voices.

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Well, sure. Of course his genius was such that he could use his weak voice to great effect.
smily_headphones1.gif

Though perhaps I've misinterpreted the intent of the thread. Armstrong, Dylan, and J. Mitchell are great vocalists with kinda bad voices.

oh, under that definition you'll have to add lou reed and tom waits too then lol.

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #23 of 45
Mariah Carey....she still has not learn the art of subtlety, destroys nearly every remake she makes with her nasal voice

J Lo...too thin and bland

The most painful experience was Cameron Diaz as the karaoke queen from hell
in My Best Friend Wedding but I know that doesn't count :p

Sep 26, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #26 of 45
Joan Jett.

Possibly most overhyped: Mariah Carey.

Sep 26, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Also, Bon Scott has a terrible voice. It's obnoxious, it's disgusting in a way, and it's horribly unmusical. It isn't even a voice that could get a crowd pumped up. It was raspy, annoying, and pitifully weak. He had no power in that voice at all.

Bon Scott's voice may be annoying to you, but saying that it was "pitifully weak" had "no power" and couldn't get a crowd pumped up is just flat wrong. Take a listen to any live AC/DC recording from that era, If You Want Blood, You've Got It for example. Are you saying that crowd wasn't pumped? You may not like him, but the guy had a very unique, powerful voice with one of the best growls in the business. Much better than Brian Johnson, who can barely enunciate the words he's trying to scream, er, sing.

Sorry, but I just had to defend Bon.
icon10.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #29 of 45
I vote Mariah Carey as well. She might have a nice voice, but she can't put a vocal together.

Just because you can go deep enough to loose bowels and high enough to make a dog's ears bleed, doesn't meen you should in EVERY song that you sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back