I didn't mention him for a reason - oy
rolleyes.gif

But you mention Kurt Cobain??? I guess we all have our questionable tastes

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #77 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I didn't mention him for a reason - oy
rolleyes.gif

I liked Sublime and I think Nowell was a very talented singer, songwriter and guitarist. Also a very sad story.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #78 of 103
Jimi Hendrix by far. If he had lived into the 70's decade imagine what he could have done. If Karen Carpenter had lived she would have slapped Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and all the other pretenders out there. If Bob Marley could have beaten cancer he could have kept spreading hope and raising awareness to the problems in his homeland. I wish Biggie Small hadnt been murdered because unlike 50cent he had talent and he didnt pretend to be a role model. I didnt care much for Tupac because he didnt lift himself out of the ghetto, he wallowed in it.

If Kurt Cobain had lived it wouldnt have been for much longer, he probably wouldve been murdered by his bandmates or a fan anyway.

I shudder to think what could have happened if the Who and the Beatles stayed together (the Stones anyone? yeesh).

Elvis would have been stalked 24/7 and probably retreated to his own island off the coast of California, Hawaii or Mexico.

Hip Hop hit the crapper when Yo! MTV Raps went off the air. Dr Dre and EdLover kept it real and they would have laughed all these punks off the air.

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #79 of 103
I don't know where Kurt Cobain would have gone in the last 10 years with his music, so while this is a shallow judgement maybe we're lucky that we just got his original grunge and we have nothing to fault them with. Meanwhile, Dave Grohl continues in a few bands, so good for him.

I would also say Hendrix, but then the music he was playing was sort of melded to the times and maybe we wouldn't like it so much if he had had to change with general music style.

I voted for Lennon, the remaining Beatles had a bit of success afterwards, and even in a solo career he probably would have too.

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #80 of 103
Quote:

I would also say Hendrix, but then the music he was playing was sort of melded to the times and maybe we wouldn't like it so much if he had had to change with general music style.

Interesting point. One can only imagine what Hendrix's disco phase would have been like.

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #81 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
But you mention Kurt Cobain??? I guess we all have our questionable tastes

I mentioned Cobain because he was truthfully a tragedy - one of the most popular singers/songwriters to ever live - and his death brought upon just as big a stir as Lennon's or Harrison's did. Hell, in the 90's, Cobain was OUR Lennon! There was not one child in the civilized world that didn't know of his death. While I don't tend to like either bands, it is obvious to say that the members of Sublime were not NEARLY as influencial or as popular as Kurt was. I did not do this out of taste, but out of historical impact.

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #82 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I mentioned Cobain because he was truthfully a tragedy - one of the most popular singers/songwriters to ever live - and his death brought upon just as big a stir as Lennon's or Harrison's did. Hell, in the 90's, Cobain was OUR Lennon! There was not one child in the civilized world that didn't know of his death. While I don't tend to like either bands, it is obvious to say that the members of Sublime were not NEARLY as influencial or as popular as Kurt was. I did not do this out of taste, but out of historical impact.

Opinions vary - I'm just givin ya some crap cause I've never cared for Nirvana and have always loved Sublime
cool.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #83 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Well, I voted for Allman, but I think my logic was similar to the Hendrix and SRV voters. Like I said above, Elvis, Lennon and Bonham had produced large bodies of work. Had Elvis stuck around, doesn't it seem somewhat likely we would have seen him doing long-term Vegas engagements? If Lennon hadn't died, yeah, we might have gotten a Beatles reunion, but IMO playing old material during a reunion tour does not compare with the loss of material that never saw the light of day. Even Zeppelin had been around long enough to give us plenty of material before Bonham's death. SRV, Allman and Hendrix were just getting warmed up at the time of their deaths.

this is similar to my reasons for almost voting for hendrix while not even contemplating lennon or harrison and wondering how anybody could vote for elvis - their deaths were premature and sad, lennon's even shocking - but their careers had been fulfilled before their deaths. had elvis lived longer, not an ounce more of good music would have seen the light of day, he was artistically dead long before his body died.

which leads me to the almost objective answer to the poll from the subjective perspective of "whose early, unnecessary death robbed posterity of great music":
wolfgang amadeus mozart.

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
which leads me to the almost objective answer to the poll from the subjective perspective of "whose early, unnecessary death robbed posterity of great music":
wolfgang amadeus mozart.

Oh you're just saying that because you're Austrian.
icon10.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #86 of 103
Johnny Cash - for the first time when I heard an artist had passed I felt great sadness at the fact that I was never going to hear new music from them again.

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #89 of 103
Actually ODB was exploring new directions with his solo stuff and I would have loved to have heard more psychedelic club stuff from him. I think Andre3000 has a nice image and does the stuff well but ODB was seriously bugged out.

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #90 of 103
I picked Allman for reasons a few people mentioned on here. Lennon's death was more tragic in that he was a peace-loving man murdered, but musically, he had already left his mark. It was a toss up between Hendrix and Allman for me since they both died young while helping to create/define musical genres. I settled on Allman since I think he was a little younger, had a smaller catalog of music, and is very under-represented in this poll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back