Worst speakers you have ever heard
Apr 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #32 of 43
Yeah. 5ft is kind of close. Makes the bass more localizable. Sounds like you need duals
smily_headphones1.gif

Nah, I need a new house. Already drew up plans but it won't happen any time soon given the sort of people that moved into our neighborhood and likely lowering potential (not actual, taxable) value for buyers. Think of pants-less kids walking around everywhere while Moms are talking on the front porch yapping with high pitched voices. The only way I can sell this house for enough money to start building my own will be if some shady character feels generous, but then again they're also the types who go on buying sprees of cheap houses in Vegas post-2008.

In any case the plans I drew up will have a library with an audio room on one side, door on the inside of the library. The audio room itself will have an antechamber for my collectibles and CDs, further encasing the audio room so as not to disturb the neighbors, measuring at least 16ft x 20ft. Ventilation/cooling will be a split-inverter A/C that sucks in air from outside and also keeps the noise there. Too many other features that cater to specific needs are in my plans too, which is why I can't just buy somebody else's house.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #33 of 43
Nah, I need a new house. Already drew up plans but it won't happen any time soon given the sort of people that moved into our neighborhood and likely lowering potential (not actual, taxable) value for buyers. Think of pants-less kids walking around everywhere while Moms are talking on the front porch yapping with high pitched voices. The only way I can sell this house for enough money to start building my own will be if some shady character feels generous, but then again they're also the types who go on buying sprees of cheap houses in Vegas post-2008.

In any case the plans I drew up will have a library with an audio room on one side, door on the inside of the library. The audio room itself will have an antechamber for my collectibles and CDs, further encasing the audio room so as not to disturb the neighbors, measuring at least 16ft x 20ft. Ventilation/cooling will be a split-inverter A/C that sucks in air from outside and also keeps the noise there. Too many other features that cater to specific needs are in my plans too, which is why I can't just buy somebody else's house.

A dedicated audio/video room would be nice :)

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #34 of 43
A dedicated audio/video room would be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

2ch audio rig will be as I described above. HT/gaming rig will be in the living room for a number of reasons, primarily so that guests won't have to go far into or up the house with finger food. I won't get too anal with the speakers but I'm looking into using omnidirectional speakers; I'm just not sold on the prices. I could DIY some designs, and ask a local horm speaker fabricator to help design diffusers, because if done right I can get away with a phantom center, and only four speakers around the seats. I'll porbably use PVC pipes and coat them with automotive paint, so unlike MDF they won't bloat from moisture, since aside from refreshments, I'm planning on using an intake fan that takes cold air from above the roof (with a water spritzer). Saw that on an episode of World's Greenest Homes in Arizona.

Now, given those speaker plans, there's a good chance that if I even get around to building a house as is, if I build custom omni speakers, I might just end up posting here in this thread about them  
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #35 of 43
2ch audio rig will be as I described above. HT/gaming rig will be in the living room for a number of reasons, primarily so that guests won't have to go far into or up the house with finger food. I won't get too anal with the speakers but I'm looking into using omnidirectional speakers; I'm just not sold on the prices. I could DIY some designs, and ask a local horm speaker fabricator to help design diffusers, because if done right I can get away with a phantom center, and only four speakers around the seats. I'll porbably use PVC pipes and coat them with automotive paint, so unlike MDF they won't bloat from moisture, since aside from refreshments, I'm planning on using an intake fan that takes cold air from above the roof (with a water spritzer). Saw that on an episode of World's Greenest Homes in Arizona.

Now, given those speaker plans, there's a good chance that if I even get around to building a house as is, if I build custom omni speakers, I might just end up posting here in this thread about them   :p

I think I'd stick to headphones (lol)

:)

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #36 of 43
I've heard some Ohms that didn't sound particularly appealing. But the worst were speakers that I actually auditioned in store before buying them: Phase Technology 730es. Harsh. Very harsh. Especially noticeable after comparing them side by side with the Infinity Overture 3s I bought sound unheard to replace them. Night and day. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #40 of 43
Do people actually use those? I'd assume most people would at least have the sense to buy a cheap sound bar. Still not going to be the greatest experience, but certainly better than the built in speakers.

Actually the cheap $10 multimedia speakers in most office computers suck a lot worse than better-brand HDTVs. Samsung and Sony have decent sound, and so do the other brands of similar caliber; it's the cheaper brand HDTVs that skimp on speakers, and why people who buy them are either tone-deaf or have an actual HT system and have never even heard anything out of those speakers.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #41 of 43
Do people actually use those? I'd assume most people would at least have the sense to buy a cheap sound bar. Still not going to be the greatest experience, but certainly better than the built in speakers.

Most people I know don't have a sound bar. I would try to save a little more money for an expensive one because they can be a lot better. I have a Yamaha sound bar but I can't remember the model name.

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #42 of 43
Other than the usual 10$ computer speakers, the Bose Acoustimass whatever system.

What's funny is that the owner was proud of it and was blasting it into a huge amount of awful distortion. It was like music mixed in with pig squealing. :)

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #43 of 43
  I went to a audio fest last year and there were these god awful electrostatic speakers there. Normally I am a fan of electrostatic, planar, and weird panel speakers, but these things just sucked. 

I wish I could remember the name, but they were near 40K for a set. 

Another group that I am starting to dislike more and more is bowers and wilkins. Their new speakers with their microphone style tweeter sounds very flat. I can definitely tell that I am listening to speakers. My friend and I heard some of their floor standing speakers, and two seconds later we were gone. 

I agree with your assessment of the NEWER B&W's. I have a Home theater setup with matching 602's, Center and Surrounds with a Huge ASW4000 Sub/amp they are the older style and sound just superb. I was getting the itch a ways back to upgrade, so I went to My Hifi Dealer to see about some Newer Models. Needless to say I still have the 600 series. The worst 2 I've heard were the Cerwin Vegas and JBL's (after they sold out around '80's??? to Harman)

beyersmile.png
 TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back