Worst rock concert you ever saw and why....
Feb 3, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

No wonder they did not last

I guess they weren't radio active.
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #18 of 28
Maybe not the worst, but the most disappointing:

Zeppelin at the Aud in Buffalo c. 197? (honestly can't remember the year). ****ing horrible sound (the Aud didn't help), overall poor performances by Page/Plant (sloppy guitar work . . . giddy vocals/plenty of lyrics spoken rather than sung). Granted, some highlights, but all of the high hopes and excitement dashed . . . . I particularly remember that it was next to impossible to determine which songs they were playing until some time into the songs themselves. That's a wild note considering the classic, signature riffs in most of these songs. Particular "lowlight" of the evening was getting splashed with some liquid tossed from the upper stands . . . . liquid spashed over some dozen or so stoned people . . . . with one fellow jumping up screaming "IT'S ACID!".

This same tour made it's way onto celluloid as the Song Remains
The Same. Never did like the film either.

Feb 4, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #19 of 28
For me it was the Rolling Stones "Tattoo You" tour at the LA Coliseum sometime in the early '80's. I waited in line 2 days. This is the condensed version:

One of the opening bands was Prince before he got big. He got booed off stage while shaking his ass singing "Little Red Corvette".

The Stones come on stage and I am on the infield 30 yards from the stage. The crowd freaks and bull rushes the stage and everyone is getting crushed. The crowd pushes back and now you can go 20' forward and 20' back without touching the ground. Mick is yelling at everyone to behave but it is too late for me. FTS I'm outta here. The bowl of the stadium is packed and all the exits and aisles are blocked with people. The only way out is through the infield and out the back exits. It took me over a half hour to fight my way out of the stadium. After all that waiting the only thing that was important to me was breathing. A waste of three days. There is a lot more to this story but those were the deciding factors in me chucking it all.

Feb 4, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #20 of 28
Anyone remember the Clapton tour in the summer of '74 ("I Shot The Sheriff"-era)? I was working this one at Rich Stadium in Orchard Park, NY. They had this huge revolving stage and I was one of the grunts revolving it. That sucker was heavy!

Not only was it about 95 degrees and 90% humidity (living next to Lake Erie does that) but Clapton was so wasted he could hardly stand up. I'll always have fond memories of him puking up his guts behind the PA stack.

Feb 4, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #21 of 28
Worst? Some of the bands at Woodstock '99 sucked rocks. Of course, some were absolutely great, so that made up for it.

Worst single-artist show had to be Sting at Finger Lakes Performing Arts Center on the "Soul Cages" tour. Sting and his band were great, but NOBODY in the front rows seemed to be into the show! These are people that waited in line overnight two days in advance of ticket sales just to get front row, and... nada. They just sat there and listened. My friend and I are sitting in the front row, excited as hell, but feeling like idiots when NOBODY else was standing. The rest of the crowd could have been cardboard cutouts. The audience ruined that show.

Honestly, I've been to far more great concerts than bad ones. Guess I've just been lucky...

Feb 4, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #22 of 28
Well, that sucks that other people weren't into the Sting concert, Russ.

The worst concert i ever saw was one that i didn't get to see.

Scott Weiland was supposed to play a show at Irving Plaza during the summer of 1999, the schmuck got arrested for trying to buy dope, man was i steamed. After that i don't have much respect for him and i really give a damn for STP.

Feb 4, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

I'll always have fond memories of him puking up his guts behind the PA stack.

dude, you were, like, spinning him too fast!

Feb 6, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

I saw the Stones in 1975 Toronto. They were bad because they were so drunk. A waste of a night.

I was there too, and fully agree. They also stunk during Keith Richard's heroin bust sentence concert in Oshawa in 1979, and they stunk in Buffalo shortly after that. Fortunately, their live show has improved greatly in recent tours.

The worst I've attended was Robin Trower, Toronto, 1976. His guitar was so loud, when he hit high notes during his many lead solos, everyone in Maple Leaf Gardens would cringe and grab their ears in pain at the same time. The whole crowd moved in unison....like the Wave or something.

I like loud Rock music, but this was unbelievable. I left after 4 songs.

May 6, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
I saw Stryper back in the day. That was pretty bad. They even threw bibles out into the audience.

I guess I shoulda seen it coming, but I was like 10 years old...

So they threw a bible at you and you didn't see it coming? Then how did you know it was them?

J/K...

May 6, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #28 of 28
Rolling Stones - mid 60s Honolulu, Hawaii with Brian Jones. Barely played 20 minutes. Left the stage. Thought it was early for a break. Crowd not thrilled when that was it.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back