Worst price to performance headphone?
Jan 9, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #17 of 92
What about HD600, nobody?.....
Well at the time I sold mine (300.00 used) they were more expensive (with the upgraded cable, another 150.00) than the CD3000, and IMO can't even touch it, even with the best of the cables....and I got my CD3000 for 349.00 new....

Jan 9, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #20 of 92
Well, going purely on math, I vote for the original retail price on the Orpheus HE90. I mean, for $14,000 it should make you dinner too.
orphsmile.gif

Granted, I guess it's really a headphone and amp combo.

-Ed

Jan 10, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 92
Among the headphones that I have listened to extensively, the three headphones in my "three worst headphone values" list are (worst listed first):
  1. Sony MDR-V600: Deez sux0r even at $20! But it costs $100!!!
    mad.gif
  2. Sennheiser HD 590: A real disappointment for its $200 street price! Incoherent, shrill and murky all at once.
    very_evil_smiley.gif
  3. Sony MDR-V700DJ: Dark, lifeless (to my ears) presentation - and uncomfortable to boot.
    evil_smiley.gif

I didn't include the Sony MDR-CD3000 or the Grado RS-1 because I had never spent more than several minutes with those 'phones. But my impressions of them aren't favourable enough for me to fork over several hundred $$$ on either of these 'phones.

Best headphone values (of those that I've used extensively): Grado SR-60 (with replacement bowl or flat pads - the stock comfy pads muffle the sound noticeably), SR-225; Koss KSC-35

Jan 10, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #22 of 92
I can't believe I am seeing the RS-1. But I suppose it is more personal preference.

The HD500 get my vote. Cost me $230AUD and they sucked. I have a pair of old SONY's I am borrowing that sound as good.

Eagerly awaiting my MS1's!

Jan 10, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #23 of 92
Worst >$400 price to performance:
Shure E5
Grado RS-1
Neither are bad headphones... the opposite in fact, but they just don't have the sonic bang for the buck. To be enjoyed on their own merits, not looking at the price.

Worst >$300 price to performance:
Panasonic RP-FDA100
Once again, not a bad phone... but this time the class of the sound is in a price bracket lower than anything else I've bought at this price.

Worst >$200 price to performance:
Beyer DT250-80
Sony MDR-7509
Both have detail a notch below what the price indicates. Both have major sonic faults again in relation to their price. Once again not actually bad phones as such, but hard to recommend bearing in mind what else is available.

Worst >$100 price to performance:
Sony MDR-V500
Looks and feel of a quality product, quite comfortable for a supraaural phone, reasonably isolating and sounds like s**t. Taking them apart, I was amazed at the quality mouldings and relatively complex manufacturing steps taken to make them sound this bad.

Jan 10, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #24 of 92
Man, the rs1s are getting a beating right now . . . but although I no longer have one, I am still a fan of mid-end grados!

And from what I've heard (which isn't much) any sony dj studio monitor phone. They suck.

Jan 10, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #25 of 92
The HD590 and CD3000 get my vote. I didn't much care for the HD590--what Eagle_Driver said about them being "Incoherent, shrill and murky all at once" pretty much sums up my experience. I did like the CD3000--it's quite good at detail and has a fairly realistic (although slightly cartoony) tonal character. But it is a bit sterile and uninvolving and usually needs to be paired with a warm source and/or a warm amp to sound like a world class headphone. I dunno, a $400 phone shouldn't have to depend on the other components in the system to sound its best--it should sound reasonably good on any equipment as long as it's being powered properly. I also found the soundstage of the CD3000 to be overly echoey--not suprising since it relies on reverberated sound in order to create its soundstage. Decent phone but I wouldn't pay $400 for it.

Jan 10, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #28 of 92
I vote for the upper Grados, especially RS-1. Think about it. The RS-2 is basically "90% of the RS-1", and can easily be had for 300 of ebay from time to time, and 400 normal price. The RS-1 is double the price and there's only a slight improvement. The Grado price/performance ratio starts out great, but it gets worse and worse as it goes up the line.

Jan 10, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #30 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
3 days ago, when they arrived, i would have said the stax 404 with the 313 amp. god did i wish i hadn't bought these that first night.

but each time i listen, my love for them grows. last night i sat in a daze listening to hawaiin slide guitar tunes and was amazed at how clearly i could hear the strings of the ukulele being plucked. instead of sounding like percussion like it does through my speakers, i could locate and hear this tiny little instrument.

I'm glad to hear that you like them (now) - welcome to Stax!
biggrin.gif

Part of the problem is break-in; Stax in my opinion need lots, with special emphasis on the amp side. The Stax amps definitely improve with some age attached, IMHO.

As for "worst price to performance" I'll have to go with Orpheus. I have never had the chance to hear them (and trust me, I wanted to), but at 3x the cost of top of the line Stax I can't see how they are 3x better. Just me, sorry. But they are, truly, a work of visual art, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back