Worst Neil Young Album
Dec 13, 2009 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
I know there are a lot of Neil Young fans here (me included).
I know it's easy to pick a favorite(s).

However with the large amount of work he's done I would think that many would have an album they think is the least substantial, most forgettable or inconsequential.

My nomination is Are you passionate? It's not horrible "turn that off or i'm killing the ipod" bad it's just very mediocre with no memorable songs and a few real stinkers like "mr disappointment " which is ironically titled.

So what say you?

PS. Arc doesn't really count because it's just unclassifiable.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 10
"Trans", and probably all his albums from the early eighties.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 10
The worse Neil Young album?!

Lol. Where to begin.....there are so many to choose from!
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I gave Trans a pass because he was either a: trying something very different which led to "landing on water" which is a decent album or b: doing way too many questionable substances

Arc is really odd, It's just a bunch of song endings strung together from the weld tour. It's just beyond weird and you have to wonder who thought it was a good idea. The liner notes are interesting with Neil talking about 'this sound they never got before"

One critic said Arc was neil's version of "metal machine music"

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 10
Had to vote for Reactor. I liked half of one track, and that was it! The rest was just pants.

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Have to second "Reactor".
It just about edges out "Trans" (although for some reason 'Sample and Hold' seems like a worthwhile song) and "Prairie Wind" (which of course was made under duress).
How about naming his worst song ? Now that would be tough.
Meanwhile, there are plenty of very good/great ones as well.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll 2nd Trans. I bought it several years ago not knowing how horrible it was. Still have the CD for some unfathomable reason. Best would be On The Beach, Zuma, Tonight's the Night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back