Worst MP3 player - Round one of ten!
Feb 4, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin24
I just want to start off by saying that I own a 4g ipod photo 40gig, as well as a bunch of other players, and I voted for the ipod as one of the worst. I loved my iPod for over a year, and still do, but had to move on. I'm a new member to these forums so I mean no disrespect, but I was really surprised how so many people could be ipod owners and consider ipod an audiophile grade component. I like the sound quality of my 4th gen, especially the nice warm vocals and overall tonal quality of the sound, but compared to my other players it's a definite step down. I guess the biggest reason I leave my ipod at home now is because it has no EQ. This is fine if you have absolutely no wish to listen to anything other than flat, or you think the ipod engineer's opinion of proper sound is correct and shouldn't be messed with. And if you do like everything flat all the time then cool, but even the perfect flat of my other players is better than my ipod. Ipod was my first mp3 player and now looking back I'm glad it was.

Since I own one I can hate it with my own experiences to back it up. Never again will I buy something that is considered portable but scratches more than a leper or that I must treat like a fragile egg. Nor will I buy a unit that has no ums capability and no user set EQ. At first I loved the gui of my ipod, but after using my other units I no longer feel the love. I have a 100gig player loaded with 70 gigs that I can find songs and artists faster on then my 40 gig ipod loaded with 32gigs. I can also get to other parts of the gui much faster than on my ipod......such as EQ and other settings. So no in my opinion the ipod is no where near the quickest or easiest to use. But the one thing I always come back to is the sound quality. It's good but not nearly as good as some others......especially for the price apple charges. Just my $.02 on this topic.

It's funny that you don't mention what this "other player" is.

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by courierdriver
Voted out the Ipod-Shuffle...no-display. Not a big fan of Ipods, period. Poorly made, from several different countries. And I don't own a Mac.

For $30-bucks less than a Nano, I bought a 5-gig Creative Zen Micro. Great sounding unit, easy to operate, and no compatability-issues. Has a removeable battery that lasts about 10-12 hours, and has never-yet malfunctioned in the 3-months I've owned it. I'm totally happy with it.

Um...you don't need a Mac to have an iPod.

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #48 of 59
I have a few other players. I own an ipod 4th gen 40 gig, an archos av500 100gig, an archos gmini400 20gig, and a creative muvo tx flash player. I have owned an ipod shuffle, a rio karma, and an Iriver t10 1 gig. My old roomate had a 5th gen 60 gig ipod and a cowon x5l, both of which I had the pleasure of using for extended periods.

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #49 of 59
thats why i like my mini so much, its apple ipod with stuff you want and leaves out the stuff you dont want. For 199 you get 4gb instead of only 2gb with the nano. What do you get with the nano instead? a freaking color screen that i barely look at. Mini has a sexy anodized shell that doesnt scratch thats in my fav color( silver ).

All I got to say is BLAME HP who have soiled my precious apple product.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
oh, and mate05, ibuds are evil. Seriously I really dislike them, even the stock buds that came with irivers are leagues better IMO.

But how many people actually need the better sound quality? Your average old person buying the shuffle won't have the ears to tell
wink.gif
and your average teen dancing fashion guru isn't buying it for the sound. The "good enough" game plays all ways, and really in the context of Head-fi doesn't belong. Apple could've easily made the effort to put a simple LCD with very basic functionality and had another winner, instead of a POS that sells only on Apple's name and marketing. I mean really, if the Shuffle weren't an Apple product, do you think it'd sell at all?

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
haha. I can't believe. Have you read your own posts? You're the one whose trolling, and you don't have anything decent to say other than to attack me. You, you made my day man. Read all the old threads in the this sub-forum, and you'll see why I and so many others utterly despise fanboys. They negated the usefulness of the sub-forum largely. If you don't feel the same way after doing that, I'll give you a cookie. And yes, we have been attacked needlessly, and that makes us a bit jaded.

Your first reply to me in this thread was idiot and fanboyish. You just needed a reason to argue. Get me riled up over your stupid posts, and then attack, and try to make me look bad. Classic fanboy/troll strategy. I gotta hand it you, you are the man.

I see your point and apologize if I came off as trying to instigate.

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #53 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin24
I see your point and apologize if I came off as trying to instigate.

Let's just forget it, life's too short to argue over such things.

Quote:

But how many people actually need the better sound quality? Your average old person buying the shuffle won't have the ears to tell and your average teen dancing fashion guru isn't buying it for the sound. The "good enough" game plays all ways, and really in the context of Head-fi doesn't belong. Apple could've easily made the effort to put a simple LCD with very basic functionality and had another winner, instead of a POS that sells only on Apple's name and marketing. I mean really, if the Shuffle weren't an Apple product, do you think it'd sell at all?

'

Yeah, I agree on the whole apple likes to skimp on necessities thing. But eh, people are still buying em and are quite happy, isn't that all that matters? They're great at marketing, and make ok products. They're smart bastards, and the very least they're not in the same league as Bose. (great Mkting, horrible products) I understand why people dislike apple, I do to a little. But I give it to them for making mp3 players mainstream, thus forcing others to make better products as well to compete. Now we have cheap daps wills lots of support. Don't we win here?

I still think steve jobs eats children, and I stand by that.

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #54 of 59
In terms of sound, I enjoy the iPod line, generally speaking, the least. 'Worst' in this case is probably a subjective sort of classification, so I just picked the one I'm least likely to buy - Shuffle.

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #55 of 59
I vote for iPod Shuffle.
It's all other than good looking. Now we've got that covered.
But the main thing is, it haven't got a display, and the shuffle function is something I bet you can find on all players. That is not something revolutionary, really. It's just stupid. Who want's to browse through 1gb of music without a display?

Feb 5, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #56 of 59
I have a feeling that most of you who are criticizing the shuffle haven't really used one. Listening to a friend's shuffle for five minutes doesn't count. The shuffle is a very nice mp3 player, despite the lack of some key features, because of the how seamlessly it works with itunes. If you haven't experienced the shuffle-itunes integration first hand, you really won't appreciate the shuffle. There is no other flash-based mp3 player that I know of where you press one button and in a few minutes it's ready to go full of a new set of randomly selected songs. It might not be the ideal mp3 player if you're looking for just a single mp3 player, but it's a great complementary player for working out, running errands, etc.

That said, I would vote for the shuffle as being the worst mp3 player out of this list as well, not because it's a bad mp3 player, but because this poll is faulty. Notice that the shuffle is the only flash player out of this bunch, and it's pitted against mp3 players with tons more capacity, big screens, etc. That's like me listing a bicycle along with a 350z, a Corvette, and a Mustang, and asking which of the four is the worst mode of transportation.

Feb 5, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #57 of 59
I've used the shuffle; I simply don't appreciate the shuffle-itunes integration as I don't really use a shuffle option in general and, additionally, I don't like iTunes. I also do like having a display. Additionally, I don't like the iPod sound, so the shuffle ends up losing on pretty much all fronts (for me) other than size.

Feb 5, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #59 of 59
This might seem rash, but I find that threads like these tend to bring out the worst in folks. I'm going to lock this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back