Worst "high-end" equipment you've heard
Nov 2, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #361 of 435

Quote:
Next time remember that people are entitled to have their own opinions.

This should be a sticky!
smile.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #362 of 435

Quote:

That comes with the territory.
We all hear differently and like different qualities, aspects, characteristics of different gear.
You can't please everyone.
Enjoy what you've got.
Strive to get something you like better than what you've got until you are happy in the compromise between the ultimate and what you can afford.
If someone criticises your gear, tell them to get a life....

This is my candidate for becoming a sticky, especially the last line.

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #364 of 435
I've probably said this in this thread like 5 other times............

But......

The Sensaphonics 2XS (Which i don't think is popular at all anymore) cost me like 900 bucks 4 years ago.  I listened to it for approx. 20 minutes and was .............appalled.  This goes back long before I was aware people sold their custom molds or sometimes got refunds.

Anyway.......other high end cans I've owned or tried that I thought were mediocre at best were the ATH W5000.  I rechecked my opinion at J&R a few weeks ago and my opinion remains.  That this headphone has any kind of positive reputation is just amazing to me.  I love classical music, and I know that's what they're "good at" but.........It honestly sounds like a broken headphone to me.  The reproduction feels so breathless, so midrangey without any bass at all, and a highs that feel muddled.  I know fit-issue is important, but even when I hold the headphones to cause the "perfect fit" they still sound about as good as a mediocre pair of headphones to me and I don't suspect I will ever change this opinion.

The PS1000 and GS1000 are so overpriced to the point of bordering on making Grado appear ridiculous, in my opinion.  I don't think either one is their best offering, and I don't think either one is as good sounding as Sennheiser's mid-fi offerings (HD6xx) or Denon's offerings or The DT880s.  Having scooped up low mids and no real bass is like......and forigive my analogy....but it's like thinking someone is beautiful till they take their clothes off.  You can't compensate for lack of low-end by boosting something that isn't low end.  The Grado line seems to make a house-sound of this.  But they certainly have better offerings.

I go back and forth with the K701/702.......I own it for the 3rd time now.  It's not that it's bad, it's that it's not great and has been touted as such for too long, but it is still a good headphone for the pricepoint I think.  I've been quoted as saying otherwise, and I have felt otherwise which is why I would say I'm on the fence about it.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #367 of 435
yes. it was easier (and shorter) to list the headphones i think are top class. there are others i like but were not worth mentioning because outperformed by the above.

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #368 of 435
Worst high end headphones i've heard were the GS1000 I honestly would take a KSC75 if the GS1000 cost 15 dollars (otherwise I would sell it and buy something else).  I never knew music could have that much treble.  They physically hurt.  I can understand how they might be good for low volume listening though.  And I've got to give props to BlessingX, who made them sound almost balanced with some crazy tube/amp combination that probably sounded like garbage with everything else. 

I also never liked any of the Audio Technica woodies, or the Denons, or the high end Sonys or the L3000.  I like Stax because they sound gorgeous, but they don't have enough bass or lower mids for actually owning them or using them exclusively.  Nice to put on at meets though and go "wow". 

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #369 of 435

Quote:
I've probably said this in this thread like 5 other times............

But......

The Sensaphonics 2XS (Which i don't think is popular at all anymore) cost me like 900 bucks 4 years ago.  I listened to it for approx. 20 minutes and was .............appalled.  This goes back long before I was aware people sold their custom molds or sometimes got refunds.

Anyway.......other high end cans I've owned or tried that I thought were mediocre at best were the ATH W5000.  I rechecked my opinion at J&R a few weeks ago and my opinion remains.  That this headphone has any kind of positive reputation is just amazing to me.  I love classical music, and I know that's what they're "good at" but.........It honestly sounds like a broken headphone to me.  The reproduction feels so breathless, so midrangey without any bass at all, and a highs that feel muddled.  I know fit-issue is important, but even when I hold the headphones to cause the "perfect fit" they still sound about as good as a mediocre pair of headphones to me and I don't suspect I will ever change this opinion.

The PS1000 and GS1000 are so overpriced to the point of bordering on making Grado appear ridiculous, in my opinion.  I don't think either one is their best offering, and I don't think either one is as good sounding as Sennheiser's mid-fi offerings (HD6xx) or Denon's offerings or The DT880s.  Having scooped up low mids and no real bass is like......and forigive my analogy....but it's like thinking someone is beautiful till they take their clothes off.  You can't compensate for lack of low-end by boosting something that isn't low end.  The Grado line seems to make a house-sound of this.  But they certainly have better offerings.

I go back and forth with the K701/702.......I own it for the 3rd time now.  It's not that it's bad, it's that it's not great and has been touted as such for too long, but it is still a good headphone for the pricepoint I think.  I've been quoted as saying otherwise, and I have felt otherwise which is why I would say I'm on the fence about it.

I've obviously stumbled into the wrong thread. I'm listening to the W5000's right now and actually enjoying them. What's wrong with me David?  

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #370 of 435
Quote:
Worst high end headphones i've heard were the GS1000 I honestly would take a KSC75 if the GS1000 cost 15 dollars (otherwise I would sell it and buy something else).

The KSC75s are really, really good.  The combination of high SQ and low price is amazing.  If they sounded any better they'd probably form some sort of sonic black hole that absorbed all other nearby audio equipment.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #375 of 435

Quote:
I listened to the O2 on the Woo amp and walked away thinking "Meh, the O2 is overrated".

Don't automatically blame the O2. At CanJam 2010 I put my O2 on the top amps in the Woo room. The sound from the amps was "tubey" to say the least. I know a lot of listeners like their tube amps that way - warm and lush - but I was not a fan of the experience. The sound was good, just not to my taste. The amps seemed very well built. They would probably last forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back