Worries about receivers w/ digital amps and SACD player
Oct 10, 2004 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently, I was listening to the Presidential debates on the car radio coming back from work. And I felt what I am missing from my home system is a tuner. Due to a lack of shelf space, and perhaps a curiosity with multi-channel music, I have been considering switching out my Cambridge Audio A500 integrated amp with a multi-channel receiver. I know what you will think. But after reading many MANY post here and elsewhere about the various digital amp receivers, I am really interested now. However, I am worried about any degradation in sound quality when the analog >>> digital >>> analog conversion occurs when I play my SACDs through one of these digital receivers. Am I just being too picky? Should I worry? Anyone has experience? Should I just get a separate tuner instead?

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm thinking of getting this Polk Audio XM Tuner. Maybe it would work for you as well?

About the D/A/D problem, are you sure that these types of receivers really digitize their analog inputs? That would suck.

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 10
Hmmm, doesn't look like the Polk tuner do AM/FM.
frown.gif

Yes, various digital amped receivers, like those from Panasonic or JVC, do an additional analog >>> digital >>> analog conversion when used with a SACD player before the signals reach the speakers. And that additional stage of conversion is what worries me.

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, I would worry about that too. It's almost as bad as when I used to tell Wadia owners to digitize their vinyl so they could go preampless.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

edit: woops, I overlooked the "digital amp" part of your receiver definition.

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 10
Yeah, I miss my radio, too.

Perhaps you should just get an old Fischer or something, and set it up separately? Or a Tivoli.

I know that if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably get the Pioneer Universal player that has the digital connection to its sister multi-channel receiver.

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 10
the reciever i have that i use as a phono stage could be used for it's radio too i guess - have to grab an fm and am antenna from rat shack soon.

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 10
That is a concern but if the A/D is good enough it may still outweigh a DA conversion, go through interconnects then inside your amp through regular means. It's best just to try it and see if you're satisfied with it.

The only pure digital SACD receivers that i'm aware of are from sharp. I'm sure you're aware of those models sd-px2, HX500, HX600. hardly anybody has tried these though eh?

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Sharp and the TI chipset that Panasonic use are pure digital so you would want to use the digital input on them in order to avoid the conversion. The panasonic has a horrible reputation for its analog input. Of course, that means that sacd is out of the picture.

However, tripath solutions and the JVC digital amp do not perform such a conversion. They're a modification to class D. I'm pretty happy with the JVC.

Oct 12, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 10
ooheadsoo,

I see you have a Sony CE775 SACD changer. So you're using the Sony with your JVC receiver? How's the sound?

Maybe I should go ahead with the TEAC power amp....that's another thread.

thanks for the Magnum-Dynalab tuner link, null....I think my budget is more on the Tivoli end of the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back