Worries about Lead in solder and a new Baby.
Jan 18, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by peranders
The effects of lead posioning is pretty well documented. Why did lead dissappear in petrol/gasoline do you think?

Primarily because it damages the catalytic converters that change the carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide (although what goes into the tank has to come out the tailpipe). Nonetheless, you're right, lead is hazardous, particularly for children.

Edwood, the bulk of the fumes that come from soldering are the VOCs, not lead (although I'm sure that they're hazardous themselves). It seems to me that you are on the right track with a well ventilated area and a good filter system. Also, keep that area clean and don't let your child mess around there.

As a tangent to this thread, when I was a kid, we used to play with mercury. It was the darndest stuff! We'd push it around with our fingers and have a blast! Then we'd chow down on a sandwich and go back to playing with it. Kinda makes me shudder...of course, that could be a symptom of the mercury....

-Drew

Jan 18, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Mike- did you drink a lot of water as a child by any chance?
tongue.gif

-just busting your chops, man-

And PLEASE do not bump that thread, for the love of Pete.
eek.gif

Yep, the water was very rich in lime though so I doubt I consumed vast quantities of lead (if any) One thing I do remember about water through lead pipes is how cool the water was when it came out of the tap on a hot summers day... these plastic pipes are terrible and the water always comes through lukewarm on a hot day and the water doesn't taste nearly as good through them
frown.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #18 of 31
Furthermore, what fun would it be to play Clue if there were no lead pipes?

"I think it was Colonel Mustard, in the billiards room, using a PVC pipe."

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Furthermore, what fun would it be to play Clue if there were no lead pipes?

"I think it was Colonel Mustard, in the billiards room, using a PVC pipe."

Good point and one which the Eurocrats obviously overlooked voodoo! They'll probably get around to banning cluedo on the basis it mentions a lead pipe as a weapon
eek.gif
"warning whacking someone over the head with a lead pipe may cause fatal injury or lead poisoning"

"I think it may be Miss scarlet, in the billiard room, using a Candlestick" Hmm that's another reason to ban it.

They may take the PC line and rename Miss Scarlet as "MZ Scarlet"

"I think it was Professor Plum, in the ballroom, using a rope"

enough already!
icon10.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #21 of 31
Many congratulations Edwood!!! I remember reading about lead poisoning and the fact that children are most vulnerable before age of 3, because basically they put everything in their mouths at those ages, and even dust can get lead-contaminated. I'd try to solder in a separate ventilated area (e.g. maybe a garage) that would be out of bounds for the kid throughout those years. Check out this link for info: http://www.epa.gov/lead/

Anyway congratulations again man!!!!

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Many congratulations Edwood!!! I remember reading about lead poisoning and the fact that children are most vulnerable before age of 3, because basically they put everything in their mouths at those ages, and even dust can get lead-contaminated. I'd try to solder in a separate ventilated area (e.g. maybe a garage) that would be out of bounds for the kid throughout those years. Check out this link for info: http://www.epa.gov/lead/

Anyway congratulations again man!!!!

We live in a small one bedroom condo. No garage.
frown.gif

-Ed

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTHINGness
That is mercury that you are refering to.

really?? i always thought it was lead.. doh!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

...children are most vulnerable before age of 3, because basically they put everything in their mouths at those ages...

So, you should be mostly worried about the child swallowing an IC chip and choke. It does not matter if the chip is lead free...

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #26 of 31
get a butane iron and go solder out on the driveway?

or construct a cleanroom in the living room maybe?

I never worried much about fumes, the flux doesn't hurt anything, and the bp of lead is about 1700, so as long as the baby is eating solder or anything, fumes shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #27 of 31
I dont beileve you have anything to worry about. I would be more worried about all the arsenic, lead, cadnium, mercury and pesticides that are showing up in the food and water supply. Even if you continue to solder normally, I dare say it wont even amount to a fraction of the toxins your baby will be exposed to just by eating, drinking and living indoors; and those are only the abiotic nasties!

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:08 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Okkler
I dont beileve you have anything to worry about. I would be more worried about all the arsenic, lead, cadnium, mercury and pesticides that are showing up in the food and water supply. Even if you continue to solder normally, I dare say it wont even amount to a fraction of the toxins your baby will be exposed to just by eating, drinking and living indoors; and those are only the abiotic nasties!

<Begins construction of bubble suit for wife.>

-Ed

Jan 20, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #29 of 31
I would advise against hooking up a hose for her to sniff concentrated amounts of the fume constantly..
confused.gif

How big is the house that you live in? If it's more than 1 room, you'll be fine doing it in a different room. You can even open (or slightly crack) a window to be sure.

I thought about this when I started, as I live in a rather small apartment with my old lady and our 2 month old son. It's fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #30 of 31
depending on how silly you want to be with this... you could always get a smoke ejector like te ones we use in the fire dept. when i set it up at the fron door of a house and open all the windows/doors it will completely clear the house within minutes( the fan is ~6 feet in diameter and 2 1/2 deep)
evil_smiley.gif

you could also try to seal off your soldering area with the plastic sheets, then attatch some dryer ducts with boosters in them to vent the fumes outside)
wink.gif

good luck with the new addition
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back