worries about buying rs-1/ms pro
Aug 1, 2004 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

skitlets

500+ Head-Fier
well, I planned on "upgrado"ing to the ms pro or rs-1, so I searched the forums for comparisons between these two headphones and other ones, as well. I stumbled upon something which doesn't make me feel very comfortable. In this thread, (3rd or 4th post from the bottom, more is elaborated on in the next page) there seems to be problems with Grado's quality control, and that newer rs-1/ms pro drivers sound bright and harsh compared to older ones. Also, I came across another thread about certain treble peakiness around 2.2k. These two problems unnerve me, as I was set upon obtaining either of these headphones in a couple of months once I saved up the cash for em. On another note, if these problems turn out to be nothing, can anyone give me their impressions between the ms pro, rs-1, and ms2? I'm getting an ra-1 "clone" very shortly once my friend puts it together. Also, please tell me which pads you used and which ones preferred on each specific phone. The general concensus seems to be the rs-1 and ms2 like flats, whereas the ms pro likes bowls. Price doesn't bother me too much, as the taiwan site which sells the ms pro is much cheaper than directly from alessandro, and used rs-1s appear often and cheaply. Any input about the two threads and impressions are much appreciated.

edit-- removed incorrect url. here is correct one on treble peakiness.
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=ms+pro

Aug 2, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 26
RS-1 w/ bowls + RA-1 ain't really bright. infact, i found the combo to lack just a bit of high end.
since the MSP's supposed to be a little bit less bright then the RS-1, i wouldn't go for the combo myself, although i never heard it.

Aug 2, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 26
adam, how old is your pair, as I remember reading that Grado changed their drivers about 4-5 years ago, making them even brighter. If your pair is older than that, perhaps that explains your minority view. Also, do you find treble peakiness around the 2.2khz region as shown in my 2nd link?

Aug 2, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 26
I personally find the bowls accentuate the highs. I prefer the flats. I have heard new and old RS-1's and I have not really noticed a big difference in the drivers. The only thing I can think of is burn-in?

My RS-1's are older so perhaps I am blessed, I'm not really sure...but when comparing to the ones in the store...they are pretty similar. I can detect that burn-in will resolve much of the issues of the brand new drivers, which is true for most Grados and frankly pretty much for all new headphones I have come in contact with.

With the right amp you should not have to worry. Note however, that it seems that the "magic" from a bonafide RA-1 is rarely matched by a clone as the clones never seem to be exact. New or better parts here or there...seem to detract from the sound. Beagle has first hand knowledge of this and could provide an indepth analysis on this. He would know too...he owns a clone and the RS-2's and is familiar with my RS-1's and the RA-1. He is also spot on when describing the Grado sound.

Aug 2, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 26
interesting about the clone information, ill send a pm to beagle.

Aug 2, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 26
Trust me, Music Series Pro is the way to go.
wink.gif
Much more neutral, likely more details and more faithful to the source than RS-1. You won't be disappointed. Taiwan has the best prices of both Music Series Pro and RS-1 in the world. Let me know if you plan to buy MSP... I'll help you contact with the dealer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 26
zanth, how do you feel about the rs-1 vs. ms pro?

Aug 2, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 26
I have had the MSP for 5 months
I find that it has the sweetest treble I have heard on a headphone or a speaker for that matter
The bowls bring this out fantastically
A flat pad adds more bass to the sound and therefore makes it groovier for certain personas
I find it improves the perception of location of sound rather than changing the sound itself.
As for MS-2 I couldn't comment on it but TonyTripleA reckons it is 90% of the MSP and better value for money.
Remeber the parts are not of the same quality namely plastic connectors for the cups etc.

Aug 2, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shang-Ti Chen
I'm not answering for Jason (Zanth) but he doesn't really have too much experience with MSP hehe.
tongue.gif

Heh...well if you're not answering for me why post that I don't have much experience with the MSP's? In fact, you have no idea if over the last 3 months with the PS-1's I also decided to procure an MSP and compare with my RS-1's and HP-1's.

Also, if you note that in my post, I did not even mention the MSP's. I remarked on the RS-1 driver dilema and the RA-1 clone idea. That is it that is all. No offense meant, but I would in the future, pleasantly enjoy posting about my own experiences which I believe I am probably the best to comment on, seeing as how hmmm, I'm me!

I don't have nearly the same experiences with MSP's as RS-1's, but I have heard them long enough to form an educated opinion. I would choose the RS-1 every time. If one wants to try and mimic HP-1000's, then just buy those, the MSP's simply fall short every time, while the RS-1's do best what they set out to do. Regardless of the fact that PS-1's surpass the MSP's by a good margine. As I always recommend...I'll restate, listen for oneself, it is the best way to fly in this hobby.

GL.

Aug 2, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 26
sorry for temporarily steering this thread in a slightly different direction, but you mentioned a dealer in Taiwan with better prices. can anyone tell me:

do they also sell the MS2's?
Are they lower quality for some reason (knock-offs)?
lastly how can i order from them?

thanks in advance.
-AJ

Aug 2, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 26
Yes they do sell all Music Series headphones, from MS-1 to MS Pro.
Nope, they are directly imported from the U.S.
You can PM me I'll tell you about the dealer and help you contact with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Heh...well if you're not answering for me why post that I don't have much experience with the MSP's? In fact, you have no idea if over the last 3 months with the PS-1's I also decided to procure an MSP and compare with my RS-1's and HP-1's.

Also, if you note that in my post, I did not even mention the MSP's. I remarked on the RS-1 driver dilema and the RA-1 clone idea. That is it that is all. No offense meant, but I would in the future, pleasantly enjoy posting about my own experiences which I believe I am probably the best to comment on, seeing as how hmmm, I'm me!

I don't have nearly the same experiences with MSP's as RS-1's, but I have heard them long enough to form an educated opinion. I would choose the RS-1 every time. If one wants to try and mimic HP-1000's, then just buy those, the MSP's simply fall short every time, while the RS-1's do best what they set out to do. Regardless of the fact that PS-1's surpass the MSP's by a good margine. As I always recommend...I'll restate, listen for oneself, it is the best way to fly in this hobby.

GL.

Jason, you know, I highly suspect the pair of MSP you heard probably was problematic, more or less, may be damaged of improper burn-in which caused the overly brightness. Because you mentioned before that they were brighter than RS-1 while in fact, MSP isn't supposed to be that way. MSP is supposed and considered to be more neutral than RS-1; as so for the other Music Series' vs. their Grado counterparts. And why would it lose to RS-1 at all to you, if not any better, for it's just RS-1 adjusted to different sound directions?

Aug 2, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
adam, how old is your pair, as I remember reading that Grado changed their drivers about 4-5 years ago, making them even brighter. If your pair is older than that, perhaps that explains your minority view. Also, do you find treble peakiness around the 2.2khz region as shown in my 2nd link?

my pair is quite new. it's just that the RA-1 rolls off the highs, and doesn't make them bright at all.
can i hear the treble peakiness? depends on the setup :)
are the RS-1 fatiguing? for me, yes. but not because of that peak, but because of the unnatural presentation, and i'm extra sensitive to this.
generally, the RS-1 w/ bowls requires a warm signal, or one that the highs are rolled off from.
balance your RS-1, and they will give you a musical bliss. however, mentally, in the long term, i have a problem with the presentation, and that's the reason that i didn't switch to the MSP's, because it's supposed to be very similar. in these days i'm desciding if i want to sell my RS-1 and Ety's and get Sensaphonics (and of coarse, keep the CD3000)
that's quite sad, because grado sound is my favourite.

Aug 2, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shang-Ti Chen
Jason, you know, I highly suspect the pair of MSP you heard probably was problematic, more or less, may be damaged of improper burn-in which caused the overly brightness. Because you mentioned before that they were brighter than RS-1 while in fact, MSP isn't supposed to be that way. MSP is supposed and considered to be more neutral than RS-1; as so for the other Music Series' vs. their Grado counterparts. And why would it lose to RS-1 at all to you, if not any better, for it's just RS-1 adjusted to different sound directions?

i think he uses flats with the RS-1, maybe that explains it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back