Worried canalphone n00b (one ear almost gone?)
Apr 27, 2005 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cerbie

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I got my E3c today.

Took apart and washed the case (I'm allergic to the world, and that thing was plain nasty--probably the dye), then rinsed the tips in alcohol & water, as they had already gotten cat hair on them (well, the foamies didn't).

Was trying out the sleeves, and the right phone went out. Not completely, though. If I turn it up, I can hear the sound, and it is a bit sibilant. I did my best to make sure the tips were dry and clean (I guess technically alcohol couldn't make them any more than 5% 'wet'), even using a hair dryer on cool.

Should I be worried, or will they dry out and be fine? I'm definitely worried right now
smily_headphones1.gif
. I like the fit, and msotly like the sound (I'm used to KSC75, so the high and low end both sound thin, but that will likely fix itself after a few days of getting used to them)...but if I got them wet and couldn't see anything, that makes them pretty fragile, especially with the Georgia summer in mind.

Apr 27, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 15
Let them dry out. They should be find. There was a case where one guy ran it through a washing machine and it still works after drying out. Best to let them dry out totally before trying them out again.

In the future, wash only the sleeves and not the phones.

Apr 27, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 15
I did wash only the tips, but it was all close together, and I may have missed a bit of water & alcohol in the tip's barrel, or maybe splashed some on it to do that (the alcohol made the mix clear enough that what I thought was the clean & dry bowl was the one that wasn't...it's possible a few drops got stuck in the tip from that, even if I didn't see it).

The circumstances for something like this (barring rain or sweat, anyway) won't exist once I figure out what tips I prefer.

Apr 27, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 15
I wouldn't think that such a small amount of alcohol, if there was any present at all, would cause such an effect in your canalphones. Although I suppose the effect is undeniable its just the cause that is in question. Like has been said before try drying them out for a while and playing some signal through them. Hiopefully they will spring back to life. The only thing besides the alcohol that could be wrong is that the connection for the one channel could be weak someplace, like the signal from the output device is messed up or a conection in the headphone itself is bad. You can test these hypothesis by using other headphones in the output you are using the E3C in. Or you could just have randomly had your E3C die on you of course, but you already knew that. Let us know when you figure it out what caused the problem.

Apr 28, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 15
that sounds like they're defective, not something you did. wait a day or so, but if it doesnt come back i'd contact the company and exchange them.

Apr 28, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Works fine now!
Unfortunately, I ended up liking the foamies best, so mroe maintenance costs. Damn Head-fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Now off to HA to ask about another problem that showed up thanks to the isolation.

Apr 28, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 15
I don't know...I tried all that it came with that fit (medium and small), and if it weren't for the microphonic cord, I could forget they were on with the foam tips. The clear tips were uncomfortable, and gray tips let the phones move around too much and fit differently in each ear (good seal, but not at a similar depth in each ear canal).

Still, I might have to get a triflange pack just to see, when I need new foams.

Apr 28, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 15
Well, they still work and sound great. I used them for my final today (Quennsryche > pencil & paper shuffling noises).

So, thakn you, Head-fi, for good, searchable advice.
And damn you, Head-fi, for giving me the idea to spend $120 on a freaking pair of headphones!

etysmile.gif

And shouldn't there be a Shure smiley by now?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie
Works fine now!
Unfortunately, I ended up liking the foamies best, so mroe maintenance costs. Damn Head-fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Now off to HA to ask about another problem that showed up thanks to the isolation.

You could always buy a bunch of pairs of foamies and throw them out when they get dirty.

Apr 28, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Still, I might have to get a triflange pack just to see, when I need new foams.

get the ety tri-flange tips for the er4 from idealsound. work great
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 15
Hey, those E3's are tough. Dropped mine on concrete and then stepped on 'em with a hiking boot. Not a scratch and still working fine.

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 15
cerbie: I'm glad they are working properly now.

If you're going to clean them on a regular basis be careful not to let any water/liquid get into the nozzle of the earphone. Inside the nozzle is an acoustic damper - it's a green filter. If that gets wet it will block sound from coming out of the earphone. That might be what you were experiencing at first.

Apr 28, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 15
Well, I doubt the phones themselves will be near such moisture again--I was trying them for fit. Now that I know what fits well, I'mm switch between foam and soft...but I can leave the phones in the carrying case while I clean and dry the tips. In GA and having cat, the soft ones will need regular cleaning (so I may just go 100% for the disposable foam tips, just tossing out a pair every few weeks).

Apr 28, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Well, I doubt the phones themselves will be near such moisture again--I was trying them for fit. Now that I know what fits well, I'mm switch between foam and soft...but I can leave the phones in the carrying case while I clean and dry the tips. In GA and having cat, the soft ones will need regular cleaning (so I may just go 100% for the disposable foam tips, just tossing out a pair every few weeks).

I would love to do that with my canalphones, but I get a bad feeling when I think of throwing away such unbiodegradable material so frequently. But that doesn't stop me buying coffie from McDonalds in those foam containers does it? Oh, wait I don't drink coffee or buy it from McDOnalds so that I can not drink it... Anyway, I also don't like the money that would be wondering its way out of my door to kep the suply of tips up. Maybe when I have more money to spend & more resources to put towards making up for my own polution I will start using disposable foamies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back