Worried about Shure reliability (E500)?
Dec 3, 2007 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jmpage2

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to get some feedback from other members here after a recent scary situation with some Shure E500s that I purchased.

The headphones were purchased brand new in September from a reputable reseller and were definitely brand new in the factory packaging, etc. The date code indicated that they had been manufactured about 15 months earlier in the summer of 2006.

After just six weeks of very light use I unrolled them from the supplied hard case to find out that the left channel was out. I could wiggle the cable at the "Y" connection point and get the left channel to come back momentarily.

To me, this is rather shocking. I've owned numerous headsets and can't remember the last time I had a cable short on a headset. I have 10 year old crappy headsets in my desk drawer that still work perfectly even though they were the cheapest $20 JVC or Sony earbuds you could buy at the time. I have a Shure E3C that I recently sold that worked flawlessly for three years with no special care given.

And yet these $400 Shure headphones shorted out after less than two months.

Maybe I just got a bum unit but wanted to check with other owners. Shure did handle the matter professionally, although there was a three week delay they sent me a new pair of Shure E530-PTH which arrived Friday last week. Now I'm nervous to even roll these up for fear they will short out too.

Does anyone have anything further to add?

Thanks!
etysmile.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 3
Here at least one huge thread about shure's cable prob.

If u really like how this phone sounds, I guess u will live with this one deficiency. Shure will replace for free.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 3
its unlikely you will have problems with your e500 if you take care of them, they are as reliable as anything you can name, the cable problems were with early models which im sure are very limited now as time has moved on and the cable was long since fixed.

the earpeices themselves are very solid and good but i personally have not smacked them around to see what they can take. as i said aslong as you treat it like its expensive (which it is) ypu likely wont have problems.

in the situation where you may have problems, shure has some of the best customer service available and they have your back everytime, some say even after warranty is out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back