Worried About Hurricane Irene
Aug 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jronan2

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys just wanted to see if any other head-fier's live on the East Coast and worried about Hurricane Irene. I live on the south shore of Long Island, NY and a half mile or so away from the shore, so I guess flooding is one of my main concerns. I'm 25 years old so the last big hurricane to hit the Northeast particularly NY was Gloria back in 85', before I was born. I know North Carolina as of now is supposed to get hit first, just wanted to see if any of you guys live by the coast and are worried?

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 14
Nah, ready and waiting for the Zombie Appocalapse over here in R.I. , where the big blow should have only been a CAT1 when blowed and done.

Lots of rain 6-8 on top of already soggy ground here ...

Long Island is a place I wouldn't want to have to be this weekend !

Stay safe 

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 14
I live on the water in Miami Beach, at first I thought Irene was going to smack us. Luckily this time we avoided a hit but there are a few months left in the hurricane season. 
blink.gif

Having gone through Andrew a category 5 in 1992 in South Miami and George a category 3 in Ponce, Puerto Rico I can tell you it is scary. I hope you have a plan in place and have your food, water, medication, batteries, etc in order. It is also good to have a video/pic record of your belongings as well as placing important papers in a plastic container in a vault or at a friend's house away from the main impact area. Wish you all the best.

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm not as concerned for the northeast, lots of rain and a little higher winds are most likely there... but my brother lives in wilmington. NC, VA, DC are going to get slammed.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 14
Yeah its supposed to be a Category 1 when it hits NY, the problem is that the state of NY isn't ready for storms like this and when it makes landfall here it's going to be high tide, which is the main thing there worried about. I guess I'm just worried because two weeks ago the island got slammed with 11 inches of rain in one day and my roof and basement leaked so I just can imagine what's going to happen this time. Luckily we patched the roof up but there's nothing we can do about the basement.

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 14
It's no use lad, give it up before it's too late, a sump won't be of use with the power out -

It' no good lads, head for higher ground , give-up the island !

/ Think of the children ...

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
It's no use lad, give it up before it's too late, a sump won't be of use with the power out -

It' no good lads, head for higher ground , give-up the island !

/ Think of the children ...

Ah thanks for reminding me. Get a 100ft extension chord and run it from neighbors on higher ground. Maybe daisy chain a few of them if necessary. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
NC, VA, DC are going to get slammed.

My county is about 70 miles in-land.  Yet, we're under a tropical storm watch at this point.  Here in Virginia, the rain should start on Saturday afternoon and the winds - gusting up to 50 MPH should start about midnight on Saturday night.  Then, at some point on Sunday, it should clear out.  Most of the utilities where I live are buried, so - hopefully, we don't suffer any outages.  Some of the areas closer in to DC are older neighborhoods and a lot of the utilities are still above ground.  When a few trees get their roots logged and the wind topples them, then their power and landlines could be out for some time.  I can live without power - but, I fear for my sump pump, which does need power to operate.  I realize they have battery back-up systems for sump pumps, I'm just not sure how good they are.

It was kind of funny about half an hour ago, I had to go by Lowe's to pick up a new handle for our toilet before they closed.  The guy at the register seemed surprised that I didn't opt for any batteries or flashlights at his suggestion.  I guess many people who had been through there this evening were stocking up just in case.  I'm glad to see people getting prepared.  I've got a good battery powered lantern, so I should be set.  Also, I'll keep my Walkman and battery powered amp charged just in case we do lose power.

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 14
Not too worried here, I'm pretty far in land though I could still get some pretty good rain storms from it. By the way you can buy a 1000 watt generator off of amazon for around $110 which would be good if power goes out. Might be to late to order now though. Stay safe guys!

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 14
It's times like these I cannot stop being happy I live in the west of Canada. Just north of Washington state. I am still 5 hours drive from the ocean though.

We tend to get lots of forest fires but we got very few this summer.

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Not too worried here, I'm pretty far in land though I could still get some pretty good rain storms from it. By the way you can buy a 1000 watt generator off of amazon for around $110 which would be good if power goes out. Might be to late to order now though. Stay safe guys!

Glad to see the pricing finally come down for these out of Asia, to where everyman can afford a second as a back-up , just to be safe !

I suppose a 4G network would be what fellow appocalyptic planners are moving towards as the phone lines and DSL will be useless !

/ Wonder if the OP has been evacuated from the South Shore of Long Island?

Best of luck -

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
My biggest concern is the headphones. People of the east coast must triple bag their headphones to keep them dry from all that rain. 

Nah, we just move the headphones up into the attic to keep them dry.  Here in Virginia, we're at the tail end of the storm as the winds are starting to subside a bit.  I don't think we had any gusts that exceed 40 MPH, or so.  However, closer to the coast, things didn't turn out as well.  Lots of flooding and other issues.  The long Chesapeak bridge / tunnel out of the Norfolk area has been closed indefinitely - I'm not sure if it suffered damage or that they just didn't want cars out there driving where the wind gusts could be worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back