World Tour in Nashville: who's coming?
May 29, 2002 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

darkclouds

Particular about his Sméagol Grammar we thinks he is.
Didn't realize Headroom was coming to Nashville until today. They'll be here in Nashville tomorrow. Any headfiers coming?

Nov 19, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Darkclouds,

You ever find any other Head-Fi guys in the Nashville area?

Best
Brian

Nov 20, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 8
I know of a couple more, whom I've met at the headphone tour.

Unfortunately, I've lost their contacts. It seems they don't

participate much in here.

If you guys are reading this... speak up!

Nov 20, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm one of the guys who met darkclouds at the Nashville tour-stop. I signed on to Head-Fi right after the tour. I have since relied on the reviews and observations posted here in making purchasing decisions and wish-list additions.

Are there others?

John

Nov 20, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 8
Dr. Picker,

Well, that's three of us.

What instrument do you play?

Best
Brian

Nov 22, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 8
bkelly,

I play guitar--gut-string, fingerstyle.

I got into the headphone game through transcribing recorded guitar solos. It didn't take me long to discover that most headphones were lousy. It is so much easier to learn from a recording when you can actually hear it.

I recall someone mentioning "Brian" using headphones in a recording studio. Is that you? I'm surprised how few Nashville musicians showed up at the World Tour. Maybe they all had sessions booked that night.

John

For out-of-towners: In Nashville, studio musicians are called pickers regardless of what instrument they play.

Nov 22, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 8
Dr. Picker,

Cool on playing the guitar. Me, too.

My comments about headphones in the studio was a little different than what I think you heard. Apparently there are a good number of people at Head-Fi that believe recordings are mixed using headphones. I went into great detail about the pros and cons of this and explained that no one in there right mind would fianl mix a major label release with a pair of headphones. From some of the reactions I got I think a few people don't believe me.

Apparently Sennhieser made the claim in an add at some point that the best engineers and producers in the world used Sennhiesers for mixing their recordings. That should be nearly libelous to make a statement that incorrect. I worked with Ronnie Montrose here in Nashville and he used headphones as a reference but he is the only one I know of that used them very much. He traveled with them and referenced different studios with them. I tried it but the phones were so far off the mark that I just couldn't see the benifit in their use.

Keep in touch. Email me if yo want. I play strictly jazz anymore and I'm not heavy into studio work these days. In fact, I've been told there isn't much work available anyhow.

Do yo do a lot of session work. What style do you play?

Talk soon.

Best
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back