"World Music" recommendations, anyone?
Nov 19, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #256 of 293

Quote:
Listening to some Asian Rough Guide collections right now and they aren't of high quality in my opinion. Not soundwise but even more just musically. I am looking for something of the Soundway label stature but aimed at Asian music. Does anyone have some good recommendations?

FYI: There's a new Soundway compilation of Thai pop-funk: The Sound Of Siam: Leftfield Luk Thung, Jazz & Molam in Thailand, 1964-1975.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #260 of 293
from my collection - a few that were probably mentioned already

ozomatli

bela fleck and the flecktones - a group of virtuoso musicians

tabla beat science - eastern influence electronic music

angelique kidjo - albume oyaya - excellent afro cuban upbeat celebratory music

beats antique - eastern influence electronic type music

buena vista social club - very famous cuban band - excellent!

geoffrey gurrumul yunupingu - african musician

Richard Bona - world class african jazz bassist, toured with pat metheny and the likes

shakira's old stuff including mtv unplugged.. anything NOT in english

sinead o'connor's sean-nos nua album.. all irish folk songs, and in my opinion one hell of an album!

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #263 of 293
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Azam Ali and Vas are very good.

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #264 of 293
I'm surprised that Delerium hasn't been mentioned yet. Their 1997 album called Karma is an amazing mix of electronic/world/ambient music. Lovely female vocals and Gregorian chants and countless of ethnic world instruments.
Their 1994 album Semantic Spaces is also great.

May 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #265 of 293
I like the Putumayo World Music series of compilations (have and love lots of CDs from them). I heard about that Rough Guide series (e.g.,Rough Guide to Bhangra on Amazon) but have not made a purchase.
Would anyone please recommend some more compilation series (say 1-2 CDs for each country)?
I will digest through this thread when I have more time.

May 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #268 of 293
I have a couple of the Bali CDs, Bali: Gamelan & Kecak and Bali: Golden Rain and they're great, especially Golden Rain.  I love gamalan, but it's not to everyone's taste.  I also have one of the African CDs, Ghana: Ancient Ceremonies: Songs & Dance Music, that I found at a thrift store for $1.  One of my best thrift store finds.

May 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #269 of 293
Thanks a lot scompton! Fortunately my MOG Premium has Bali: Gold Rain for download!
I also managed to find the following at MOG: Rough Guides of Sufi, Bhangra, Gypsy, West African Gold, Iran and Nonesuch Series of Africa and Indonesian. I am downloading all of them!
Just listened to the first 3 songs of Rough Guide to Sufi music. I like them! They seem more original and ethnic/"raw" than the Putumayo series.

May 2, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #270 of 293
Yeah, the Nonesuch recordings sound like anthropologists going out and making recordings before the music had too much western influence. Kind of like Alan Lomax in the US with folk music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back