"World Music" recommendations, anyone?
Mar 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #226 of 293
For Brazil, I'd add:

Maria Gadú
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Ana Carolina anything
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Marisa Monte/Tribalistas

Ana Cañas

Fernanda Takai (also part of Pato Fu)

Zélia Duncan - Pelo Sabor do Gesto (2009)

Paula Toller (part of Kid Abelha)

Ivete Sangalo

Vanessa da Mata

André Abujamra - "O Infinito de Pé"

Thalma de Freitas

Triêro - "Voz de Todas as Linguas"

Bruna Caram - "Feriado Pessoal" (2009)

last but not least, Roberta Sá - "Que Belo Estranho Dia Pra Se Ter Alegria"

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #227 of 293

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #228 of 293
My ego has become much nicer to me in recent time so I now have the opportunity to explore world music
biggrin.gif

This one is quality for anyone (I guess) into African music. Nigeria Special! Modern Highlife, Afro-Sounds & Nigerian Blues 1970-6

Nigeria Special! | Soundway Records

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #229 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ego has become much nicer to me in recent time so I now have the opportunity to explore world music
biggrin.gif

This one is quality for anyone (I guess) into African music. Nigeria Special! Modern Highlife, Afro-Sounds & Nigerian Blues 1970-6

Nigeria Special! | Soundway Records

Here's to your ego, or to being good to yourself…definitely two fine, fine discs. I managed to get several friends hooked on that Celestine Ukwu track.

nigeriaspecial-packshot1.jpg

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #230 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's to your ego, or to being good to yourself…definitely two fine, fine discs. I managed to get several friends hooked on that Celestine Ukwu track.

I've been meaning/threatening to pick this up for a long time. I should do that. Coincidentally, I was listening to The Rough Guide to the Music of Nigeria and Ghana on the way home tonight. Not my favorite Nigerian set (that would be Heavy on the Highlife), but it's worth getting.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #231 of 293
Quote:

nigeriaspecial-packshot1.jpg

Its cool to connect with you on this album. The music just does that
redface.gif

My track is number 4, Akula Owu Onyeara woooooow. I am going to check out more on that label for sure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been meaning/threatening to pick this up for a long time. I should do that. Coincidentally, I was listening to The Rough Guide to the Music of Nigeria and Ghana on the way home tonight. Not my favorite Nigerian set (that would be Heavy on the Highlife), but it's worth getting.

You really should. You will be quite delighted. A while ago I started with these rough guides myself but they all get blown out the socket by this bomb.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #232 of 293
Quote:

My track is number 4, Akula Owu Onyeara woooooow. I am going to check out more on that label for sure!.

Yeah, the Funkees!…that groovin' psychedelia. I've heard quite a few of those Soundway comps. Here's some recommendations:

¡Colombia! The Golden Age of Discos Fuentes - The Powerhouse of Colombian Music 1960-76

Ghana Soundz: Afro-Beat, Funk and Fusion in 70's Ghana

Ghana Special: Modern Highlife, Afro-Sounds & Ghanaian Blues, 1968-81

Panama 2: Latin Sounds, Cumbia Tropical & Calypso Funk on the Isthmus 1967-77

Tumbélé! Biguine, Afro & Latin Sounds from the French Caribbean, 1963-74

Sir Victor Uwaifo: Guitar-Boy Superstar 1970-76

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #234 of 293
Quote:

You really should. You will be quite delighted. A while ago I started with these rough guides myself but they all get blown out the socket by this bomb.

I know. I'm just finding it hard to bring myself to drop $20 on another multidisc Afrocomp, especially since highlife is probably my least favorite African style and I have too much of it already. Can't I just keep playing Chief Stephen Osita Osadebe?
smile.gif
But I know, I should pick it up.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #235 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know. I'm just finding it hard to bring myself to drop $20 on another multidisc Afrocomp, especially since highlife is probably my least favorite African style and I have too much of it already. Can't I just keep playing Chief Stephen Osita Osadebe?
smile.gif
But I know, I should pick it up.

I hear you, but one of the draws of these Soundway comps is that Miles Cleret, the DJ who puts them together, actually finds obscure tracks that are genuinely good, not just fodder from also-rans. Of course, there ain't a thing wrong with sticking with Chief Osadebe.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #236 of 293
Yorgui Loeffler (Gypsie Guitar Virtuoso)

Rain Sultanov (Azerbeidjan etno jazz , sax)

Loyko (Russian Gypsies)

Synthesis (Macedonia)

Ashik (Gypsy soul)

Renato Borgetti (Brazil/Argentina)

Tomatito (Gypsie Guitar, Spain, Portugal)

Pedro Joia (Portugal)

Rabih Abou-Khalil (Egipt ?)

Jesse Cook (multi national)

Bhatt & Mahal & Ravikira (India, Pakistan)

Waldemar Bastos (Africa)

Manu Di Bango (Africa)

Vicente Amigo (Spain - Flamenco)

Govi (Spain ?)

Gianmaria Testa (Italy)

Vlatko Stefanovski (Macedonia)

Nguyen Le (Vietnam, jazz & etno jazz)

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #238 of 293
Quote:

Yeah, the Funkees!…that groovin' psychedelia. I've heard quite a few of those Soundway comps. Here's some recommendations:

¡Colombia! The Golden Age of Discos Fuentes - The Powerhouse of Colombian Music 1960-76

Ghana Soundz: Afro-Beat, Funk and Fusion in 70's Ghana

Ghana Special: Modern Highlife, Afro-Sounds & Ghanaian Blues, 1968-81

Panama 2: Latin Sounds, Cumbia Tropical & Calypso Funk on the Isthmus 1967-77

Tumbélé! Biguine, Afro & Latin Sounds from the French Caribbean, 1963-74

Sir Victor Uwaifo: Guitar-Boy Superstar 1970-76

Picked up a few more and HOT damn I am just blown away by the quality; musically and soundwise. Do you know of any labels with comparable high standard in another world genre? Would be lovely ^

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #239 of 293
Quote:

Picked up a few more and HOT damn I am just blown away by the quality; musically and soundwise. Do you know of any labels with comparable high standard in another world genre? Would be lovely ^

Hmmm…kind of a tall order, but here's a suggestion: Stern's has put out three fantastic multiple-CD retrospectives of music from the Congo, one devoted to Tabu Ley Rochereau (The Voice Of Lightness) and two of music by the genius guitarist-bandleader Franco.

You also might check a label called Analog Africa or producer Ibrahim Sylla's Syllart Productions. There have been some decent things in Syllart's "African Pearls" series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back